Interesting information: lots of biochemistry

Dusted

I’m still reading it but lots of good stuff if you like biochemistry

I finished reading it and am still trying to digest it all. Some of the information was a refresh of what I had previously learned, but there was new research I wasn’t aware of. Some of the things that stood out for me as a hydroponic grower were:
- my nutrient supplier, GH, has their P way too high compared to K. I was already pissed at their nutrients due to the ammonium content dropping my pH from 6 to 4.5 over three days. I will be switching to one of our sponsors, REMO, next grow. They are also Canadian!
- amino acids as N source. Glycine is actually transported through the root cell membranes intact. Imagine that! The plant doesn’t have to expend energy making it. REMO uses amino acids as chelant and N source from what I read.
- beneficial bacteria and fungi. I have used innoculants for years knowing about symbiosis and competition to pathogens. Reading the ultra fine print on my dehydrated spores for Genus and species and looking for the stuff he listed as beneficial, I guess I will have to blend my two brands together next time to get everything listed. I already knew what happens if you add too much C to an active microbiome in the recirculating nutrient system. Pea Soup. I used citric acid once as pH down instead of phosphoric. Anyway, I will feed low levels of organic C to feed the bugs in the future instead of completely starving them as I do now.
- folliar feeding. I have never done this in 40 years of growing but now I’m intrigued. Some of the test results sound impressive. I will have to see what is available and affordable.
- Si. I hate working with silicates in hydroponics. I tried using it in one grow and didn’t see any benefit. It gums up, precipitates micronutrients, and just sucks to try and get into solution. But I see I must try again If only to help prevent stem rot which keeps appearing no matter what I do.

Back
Top Bottom