Iowans Turning To Marijuana For Ailments

Weedpipe

420 Member
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) ― Some Iowans acknowledge they are not waiting for a state board's recommendation whether to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes.

They are already smoking marijuana up to ease whatever ails them.

"It allows me to get up every day and function as a mother," said Lisa Jackson, 43, of rural Crawfordsville, who has the long-term pain syndrome fibromyalgia.

But opponents claim marijuana is already the state's most abused drug and the problem will only worsen if it's allowed for medical use.

"It's definitely seen as a gateway drug," said Lorna Richards of the Area Substance Abuse Council. "It leads to the use and abuse of other types of drugs."

The Iowa Board of Pharmacy has held four hearings in recent months to seek scientific evidence and testimony on the topic. That review could lead to a recommendation to state lawmakers whether to change Iowa laws.

Lawmakers said it's unlikely they will take up the issue next session because of the state's budget problems.

Thirteen states allow the use of medical marijuana.

Pharmacy board member Peggy Whitworth of Cedar Rapids said those who claim marijuana helps treat medical conditions like glaucoma, cancer, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis, have been more outspoken.

"I quite frankly have been surprised at the very, very few people who have spoken in opposition to it," says Whitworth.

Jackson and Jimmy Morrison, 23, of Muscatine, were among those who testified in favor of allowing medical marijuana.

Morrison said he suffers from anxiety and bipolar disorder and smoking marijuana about three times a day helps him manage his illnesses.

"My productivity has gone up so much, people don't even know," Morrison said. "I run a painting business, and I'm a media director at a church."

Jackson and Morrison said they're not looking for sympathy. They just don't want to be considered criminals.

"I shouldn't have to suffer with the pain. I shouldn't have to go back to bed. And I shouldn't have to go to jail," Jackson said.

Richards said legalizing marijuana would send a wrong message it is safe.

"It could affect the brain, different parts of the brain, and inhibit the functionality of the brain. It affects the lungs very similar to tobacco, so similar to those types of respiratory illnesses," Richards said.

Dr. Ron Herman, director of the University of Iowa's Drug Information Network said more research is needed before a decision to legalize marijuana is made.

He said marijuana contains chemicals that can be beneficial when smoked but also contains others that can have serious effects.

"We don't know enough right now," Herman said.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Iowa AP News
Copyright: MMIX, CBS Broadcasting Inc
Website:Iowans Turning To Marijuana For Ailments - wcco.com

Back
Top Bottom