Laws Don't Stop Some Iowa Patients From Using Marijuana

Despite strict laws banning the possession and use of marijuana, some Iowa patients are turning to the drug to ease their symptoms.

Several states have legalized the use of marijuana for medical purposes, and other states, including Iowa, are considering it.

Prompted by a court decision, the Iowa Pharmacy Board held public hearings on the subject across the state this year, and they could issue a recommendation to the legislature for further action on marijuana policy before the 2010 session begins.

The (Cedar Rapids) Gazette caught up with patients who are using the substance and were willing to speak openly about it, even though their actions could result in criminal charges and even jail time:

"It allows me to get up every day and function as a mother," said Lisa Jackson, 43, of rural Crawfordsville, who has the long-term pain syndrome fibromyalgia.

Jackson and Jimmy Morrison, 23, of Muscatine were among those who testified in favor of allowing medical marijuana.

They said they struggle to get out of bed, and smoking marijuana helps.

Morrison said he suffers from anxiety and bipolar disorder and smoking marijuana about three times a day helps him manage his illnesses.

"My productivity has gone up so much, people don't even know," Morrison said. "I run a painting business, and I'm a media director at a church," says Morrison.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Iowa Independent
Author: Chase Martyn
Copyright: 2009 The Iowa Independent
Website: Laws Don't Stop Some Iowa Patients From Using Marijuana

Back
Top Bottom