Is 2015 The Year For Medical Marijuana?

Founder
Atlanta, Ga. - 2015 is shaping up to be a big year for medical cannabis in Georgia - provided that supporters don't get in each other's way.

If your child suffered from painful and unpredictable seizures, you might do just about anything to save them. For Brooke Isabella's family, that means packing everything up and moving to Colorado.

"It's very frustrating to know that for the last year there has been a product available that I could not get my hand on," said Chip Isabella, referring to cannabis oil. "Meanwhile, my daughter had 15 seizures a day!"

Cannabis oil is commonly used to treat seizure disorders in states where it's legal. The Isabella's moved to Colorado late last year because cannabis oil is illegal in Georgia.

Rep. Allen Peake (R-Macon) sponsored a bill to legalize medical cannabis oil last year. It was popular with lawmakers and the Governor, but it died in the state legislature.

He's already pre-filled a similar bill for this year.

"I think the public has come to the conclusion also that medical marijuana, limited to cannibis oil in non-smokable form, and limted to certain diagnoses, is a good thing for our state," Peake said.

Another lawmaker, Sen. Curt Thompson (D Tucker), says only legalizing cannabis oil doesn't go far enough. Which is why he's already filed legislation to legalize smoked medical marijuana.

"Glaucoma and late stage cancers that don't really respond to CBD oil because it doesn't help them with the effects of those two conditions," Thompson said.

Here's where the debate gets interesting. You have two medical cannabis bills from two different lawmakers. But Peake, the sponsor of the cannabis oil bill, says he'll fight tooth and nail to make sure smoked marijuana stays illegal.

Will medical marijuana be legal in some form in Georgia? Or will the supporters get in their own way?

"I think it may confuse the public," said Peake.

In the meantime, families like the Isabella's say they can't wait any longer.

635557162818036023-MedicalMarijuana.jpg

News Moderator: 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Is 2015 the year for medical marijuana?
Author: Ryan Kruger
Photo Credit: WXIA
Website: Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, Sports and Entertainment | Atlanta, GA | 11Alive.com WXIA TV

whats the rational of oils being preferred over plant? smoked mj is bad, but mj oil is good, and this from the moron who admits, "I think it may confuse the public." these anti-mj-legislative imbeciles should be ousted before they can insert any more of their stupidity into the issue.

Back
Top Bottom