Is It Time For Medical Marijuana In Tennessee?

Jacob Redmond

Some form of medicinal marijuana is now legal in 23 states and the District of Columbia, and legislation is pending in 13 more states, including Tennessee, where the General Assembly has an even chance to pass a legalization bill this session, according to one state senator.

"I do believe that the nature of the conversation has changed over the last several years," Sen. Steve Dickerson, R-Nashville, told The Tennessean's Dave Boucher on Thursday.

Dickerson plans to revise a caption bill this week that would allow physicians to prescribe cannabidiol (CBD) to their patients for a range of medical issues. His bill would expand past the limits of several other bills that are also under consideration.

CBD, or cannabis oil, does not have psychoactive properties – patients do not "get high" when it is administered – and has broad medical applications.

"I have been reading the scientific articles, reviewing as much data as I can," said Dickerson, who is an anesthesiologist. "There is mounting evidence that patients taking CBD have at least 60 percent effectiveness. That is impressive."

"I think that we should get government out of the policing role of medical marijuana and let physicians recommend the right medicine for their patients."

"The cannabis oil bill, I'm fine with that," Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, R-Blountville, told The Tennessean. "Steve Dickerson is a medical doctor, I trust his opinion on this kind of stuff. He knows much more about it than I do. And I'm sure he's not for the complete legalization of marijuana, so if he can sell something else to me to take it to the next step, then we'll do that."

Sen. Mark Green, R-Clarksville, also agreed with Dickerson's statements, and has signed on as a prime co-sponsor of his bill.

"I was surprised at how strong the support for medical marijuana is in my district," Green said. "I did a poll that showed 49 percent of my constituents strongly agree medical marijuana should be legal; 49 percent strongly agree, that's an amazing percentage." Green said another 26 percent of his district thinks people should have access to medical marijuana.

Green's survey of 1,700 voters in Stewart, Houston and Montgomery counties reflected even stronger support than a survey released by Speaker Beth Harwell, R-Nashville, on March 13. Harwell's survey, which was not a scientific poll but did get 5,000 responses from District 56, showed that 64 percent favored legalized uses of medical marijuana.

The broad public support may influence legislators, who are considering other bills that roll back government restrictions on the conversations between doctors and their patients, including a "right to try" experimental medicines bill and a bill that would allow physicians to assist terminally ill patients' deaths.

The Tennessee constitution guarantees broad civil liberty to individuals: "That all power is inherent in the people" is how our constitution begins, and our right to make personal medical choices should be prime among these liberties.

The legislature's willingness to consider that adults should be trusted to make their own decisions is welcome.*edit*

13588.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Is it time for medical marijuana in Tennessee?
Author: Frank Daniels III
Photo Credit: None Found

I spent the day at Legislative plaza on this and all of the other bills that are Marijuana related.. BEEN FIGHTING THIS FIGHT FOR OVER 40 YEARS.. It is very apparent that until something happens on a Federal level that the Representatives will continue to skate any major change here in Tennessee..

Back
Top Bottom