Is Vegging Too Long A Problem

xtrchessreal

Is it possible to veg 18/6 too long? If so what are the common symptoms once you begin to bloom 12/12 hps 1000w?

assuming everything else is perfect

indoor veg grow under cfl 6500K/indoor bloom under hps 1000w

thanks

:peace:X

Is it possible to veg 18/6 too long? If so what are the common symptoms once you begin to bloom 12/12 hps 1000w?

assuming everything else is perfect

indoor veg grow under cfl 6500K/indoor bloom under hps 1000w

thanks

Like Colorado says some have mothers for years even, so no problem there, to answer your second question, the first thing you will experince is a big raise in temp. else I dont know what you mean?

Is there an optimum height or length of time of a vegging plant grown indoor before placing it into bloom such that the least amount of potential stress is given to the (now) blooming plant? Vegging 18/6 under cfl 6500K: Blooming 12/12 under 1000w HPS

1)Is there stress due to vegging under CFL and then placing under HPS for bloom?
2)Is there stress due to vegging for too long before placing into bloom?
3)Would either of those things cause a hermie?

I am quite bummed and frustrated from having a hermie plant on 5 different blooms now and it seems like it is getting worse each time. Anyone want some fem seeds? I got tons! <-- sorry just frustrated.

thanks

BTW ColoradoHigh I love that quote from Carl Sagan!

There is no optimal height or length in time to vegetate. Some growers even grow from seed 12/12 for the entire life of the plant. It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. I use GLR and let the plants become sexually mature at their own rate, which is ~8 weeks for indica dominant photo-period strains under CFLs. I think that this is the best trade-off between yield and quality and lets the plant grow and mature at their own pace.

1) Assuming that the wattages involved are similar, there should no issues regarding switching between CFLs, HIDs, or LEDs as long as each type's requirements (i.e. height above canopy, heat evacuation, etc.) are met.

2) Given that some mothers remain healthy and productive for years, I would say that a properly maintained plant in veg should last quite a while.

3) Cannabis can handle a lot more stress during vegging than during flowering so that if it survives to flowering in decent shape, you should have decent quality and yield provided she remains stress free throughout flowering. Light during dark cycle is the biggest cause of hermaphroditism. There are other causes such as heat, physical stress, etc. which all have to be monitored to minimize the stress and maintain the health of your ladies. I think it would be worth your time and effort to look carefully at your grow environment to determine what the cause is of your hermies. If you can remove those stressors, I think you'll find that your ladies will produce significantly more and better quality buds.

Is there any device I can use that will tell me if I have a light leak?

I have made baffles for the vent holes and intake. All my devices are located outside the room to eliminate "power on" lights I have also covered all of these with foil tape. If there is light in that room I can't see it. Perhaps photo sensitive film could be used - hmmmm

Have you heard of anyone using any method to test for light leak and even measured the amount that would be too much? Maybe something that indicates spectrum as well.

Can Infrared spectrum cause a hermie?

Thanks Colorado,

I have gone through a bummed out state for about 6 months. My last grow was a hermie disaster. However my significant other says its still as potent as the previous non hermie grow (Sensimillia). My room is darker than a dark room for photo developing I am rather certain my room is not light leaking. I sat in it for 30 minutes and couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Closing my eyes was lighter than opening them. I walked around the room feeling my way around the entire space looking for light.

I suspect the the reason for my hermies is the the length of veg growth stage. I fear that because the strain I got is unknown and it was supposedly supplied by a guy that works in a licensed grow house for medical marijuana. The story was they were getting rid of them for some unknown reason and he grabbed a few of the seeds before destroying them. For whatever reason these plants grow tall very fast in cfl veg 18/6. I newbie grower but scientist have devised an experiment to help me eliminate several concerns and just maybe find the cause of my misfortune. The plan is to clone and then xplant clones and bloom at various heights of veg growth along with rotating the plants everyday to a new location to minimize any light leak issues as yet undetected.

1. I had battled fungus gnats
  2. And what I thought were fungus gnat larvae crawling on the leaves
  3. I thought there was a nutrient deficiency or abundance based nutrient charts

1st, The fungus gnats went away with yellow traps and what I think is a bad method of using hydrogen peroxide 1:5 ratio in the soil. I think its bad because it also kills other microbes that are beneficial in the soil - rendering the soil a soil-less medium. I am using the Mosquito dunks (Mosquito bits) in the saucers this time.

2nd, the larvae crawling on the leaves turned out to be thrips - quite a different enemy. I made the newbie mistake of using Ladybird beetles to kill the thrips...NOPE. Indoor grow, I had thousands of ladybugs running around my plants so when the hermie hit the bugs carried the pollen to every inch of the plants. I did not find a single lady bug anywhere else in the house. The reading material says they will eat thrips if no aphids are around - NOPE.

3rd, i believe the nutrient issue was really signs of the thrips infestation.

So I treated my plants like shit in all three cases not to mention a sadness for the starving lady bugs that all died from starvation. I put out grapes and cotton balls with sugar to help them but they all died, 1500 soldiers wiped out due to stupid intell.

For months I was bewildered and didn't want to grow again. Then I began reading again. I saw all the same BS about thrips control but finally found a story I just couldn't believe.

One word SPINOSAD...its OMRI listed. No its not (Order of Merit of the Italian Republic or Omri the King of Israel) Its Organic Materials Review Institute Welcome to the Organic Materials Review Institute | Organic Materials Review Institute

I advise anyone with a thrips issue to look up these guys out of Canada and Spinosad.

I showered my mother in this and in one day they showed new green growth - I'll put up a new post about it later with photos when I have my sensimillia results. Clones coming soon and a new grow beginning. :)

X->out :peace:

Back
Top Bottom