Judge says "No" to my valid Recommendation

RedBeard4u

This happened to me today:
June 09, 2010

Judge Leland Harris Dept 107, Van Nuys Division of Los Angeles County court system today decided that the valid recommendation that I brought to court was no good. Judge Harris told me that the court would only accept recommendations from doctors from UCLA, & USC. "He said, "Reputable Doctors" I told him that I was unaware the under California law that their were any distinctions between doctors. He told me, "that there were to many sham doctors out there that will give a recommendation to anyone who wanted it". I would now have to have a good doctor at USC or UCLA agree with the "not" so good or ‘Not" good enough doctor that I went to for my evaluation. Then they need to white that down on their letterhead, to be taken to court. This is the equivalent to, "bring me the broom stick of the wicked witch of the west".

I though that this must have been a joke. What did he just say?

I brought for the courts consideration all of my prescriptions. I am on 9 different Rx drugs to deal with a host of ailments. Heart, Cholesterol, Diabetes, Blood Pressure, Depression, Ocular Pressure (Glaucoma)—all of which I brought to the court on UCLA stationary. Judge Harris did not even want to see it. I told him that I had brought them. All he was concerned with was my medical marijuana recommendation, and the doctor from which it came.

I thought there were laws in place to prevent me from having my medical history and medications from being public knowledge. Why is it that the court wants to see more? I use medical marijuana for depression. That is what I told my doctor in 2008 when I got my first medical recommendation and that is what I told my doctor last week when I got my most current recommendation. Is my whole metal health history going to be made a matter of record? The doctor in whom I choose to put my confidence is going to be questioned by a criminal court judge? What if I had not been the one to ask for a court hearing on this matter? What if I had been stopped and sited by a police officer? I would have showed up in front of Judge Harris with my valid, current recommendation—and because it was not written by a doctor that "this" judge recognizes as a "GOOD" doctor I would be treated with no consideration being given to proposition 215.

So what will become of me? I will continue on with my 3 years of probation. As a condition of my probation reading:

Not to use or possess any narcotics, dangerous or restricted drugs or associated paraphernalia, except with valid prescription, and stay away from places where users, buyers or sellers congregate, except in an authorized drug-counseling program.
Now the first time my probation officer wants a urine test to be sure that I am not on speed, or ****** it is going to show that I have been consuming marijuana. My freedom and liberty are at risk if I don’t have this second special Judge Leland Harris recommendation from a good doctor at USC or UCLA that says that it is okay from me to use medical marijuana for the treatment of depression. To start with UCLA and USC are medical hospitals. I use medical marijuana for a mental illness. So I would not be able to find a psychiatrist there that is willing to see me and go down the "yellow brick road" of Judge Harris

I am not a rich man. I don’t have the money to get a layer. But I know that this is wrong. Now I am really depressed.

You got to check into some pro MJ organizations in your area that might be able to help you out or point you in the right direction at least. There might be someone on this sight in your area that might be able to point you to the right place. Seems like you should be able to fight this. It is the state that put the law into affect and you were in a state or county court. They should be accepting their state laws, the judge doesn't have to right to say what laws stay and which ones are no good. If he is so worried about the doctor not being the right doctor, then that would be the states fault also for giving them a license to practice in their state. You should be able to fight this one.

You need to appeal and have the original judgment voided.

The judge errored, quite significantly, and I'm impressed that it's part of the court record now.

Amazing how the people stay on the bench.

Any competent attorney can get your conviction, assuming you were convicted, overturned.

ANY LICENSED DOCTOR in the state of California can provide a recommendation.

There is no requirement beyond being a LICENSED medical doctor, and you can review the status of any doctor's license online.

I'm sorry, but if your judge did indeed refuse to accept your recommendation because he did not like the doctor who wrote it, that judge made a very, very, very serious error.

But without an attorney, I'm sorry, you're going to have a hard time going pro se for any criminal matter, it's just not good form.

:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom