K.I.S.S. mySoil

SmokzAlot

Here is my idea of a basic approach to establishing a working soil base with relative ease and in reach of most. Your mileage will vary in your local area. Many soil growers like the slower pace and more tolerant medium of soil. So let's look at it from that perspective. Scope your local building suppliers like Lowe's/Menards'/Home Depot and such. Garden centers are also a good source for materials. What you are looking for is a good quality potting soil mix that will provide at least good oxygen and moisture retention. If you also wish for your soil to feed that is a choice as well. Balance that choice with your planned feeding routines. Most any decent clean potting mix will do. Get some additional perlite and vermiculite. I can't say more than start with about 8/1 soil/perlite and the same for the soil/vermiculite. From there I judge based on feel and the texture in my hand. I want it airy yet able to compress and hold a shape. Yet it must crumble easily. This light mixture also makes it easy to tell by weight, when you need to water. I usually mix the entire quantity purchased, so I have a resource of like medium though my grow cycle. This simple recipe has served me well in most container grows.

For outdoor gardening I include more organic mix so the garden can feed as needed in the early stages. Still I go for the same texture and feel. Love it in my raised bed veggie gardens.

Not by any means the best or worst of gardening.
Only a simple and effective mix that most anyone can achieve.
Please tweak as you wish from this point.

That is where the fun starts for some of us.

The Mix
IMG_046214.JPG

Firm hold
IMG_04639.JPG

Crumbles easy
IMG_046414.JPG

Great texture, feels a bit gritty or should I say sandy instead of loamy. But very light and airy.
IMG_046515.JPG

Back
Top Bottom