L.A., Long Beach Punting on Pot

420 Warrior

What part of a court ruling on medical marijuana collectives doesn't the Long Beach City Council get?

Apparently council members don't quite grasp that under a state appeals court ruling cities can ban medical marijuana outlets but can't allow them through a permitting process like the ones Long Beach and Los Angeles use.

Long Beach City Attorney Bob Shannon had urged the council to shut down all dispensaries until an appeal to the state Supreme Court - providing further guidelines to cities - is decided. A similar proposal is before the L.A. City Council, where unpermitted dispensaries abound. Authorities say that crime around the dispensaries - both permitted and not - is a tremendous burden on police.

But the Long Beach City Council hedged its bet Tuesday by allowing 18 permitted dispensaries to keep selling marijuana for six months. They did, however, vote to ban dispensaries that don't have permits. It appears the Long Beach City Council is buying time as the issue is decided by the state Supreme Court, which may take another year or more to rule whether the permitting process is legal.

Worse, the city prosecutor says it will take up to a year to shut down the estimated 35 unpermitted dispensaries in Long Beach.

There's a faster way: Just ask neighborhood groups where the illegal dispensaries are located. In a week they'd be identified and shuttered.

In fact, the Los Angeles Police Department has managed to shutter most of the illegal dispensaries in north San Fernando Valley. Police said that one dispensary was pulling in hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit. This despite state law that mandates dispensaries be nonprofits in which collective members contribute to the growing and harvesting of the drug.

An LAPD official told a reporter, "You come in the door of these stores, they sign you up into the collective, you are now a member of the collective, and you give us a predetermined donation for the marijuana that we give to you. That is absolutely sales. Donations are voluntary."

An attorney for several medical marijuana dispensaries said cities have the right to regulate dispensaries, but a total ban is inappropriate.

An outright ban, like the one proposed in both Los Angeles and Long Beach, won't prevent patients who need marijuana for treating illnesses from growing their own.

That's a far cry from allowing the hundreds of rogue dispensaries in the L.A. area to operate in what one Long Beach official called "the wild West."

Jose Huizar, who represents Eagle Rock on the Los Angeles City Council, is the champion of the L.A. ban. He has said that illegal dispensaries are opening daily, some near schools and parks. In other words, the dispensary operators are thumbing their noses at residents, police and city officials. But even though the ban is labeled a temporary urgency ordinance, it is languishing with no set date for the council to consider it.

The clear solution is for both cities to ban all dispensaries while the state Supreme Court decides the issue. What part of that doesn't the Long Beach City Council understand?

cali-state-flag-281x130.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Los Angeles Daily News
Copyright: 2012 Los Angeles Newspaper Group

You know the one thing that really stood out to me in this article was

An LAPD official told a reporter, "You come in the door of these stores, they sign you up into the collective, you are now a member of the collective, and you give us a predetermined donation for the marijuana that we give to you. That is absolutely sales. Donations are voluntary."

Yes donations are voluntary but is it wrong to set a minimum donation?

If so then why are organizations that are involved in feed the hungry, save the rain forest, etc etc etc ASK ONLY for a minimum donation or they will not accept your money? Why does no one say anything about them? Is it because they are saving trees or putting food in people's bellies? We are helping patients with their sicknesses, diseases, anxiety, and depression and a whole lot more reasons than what it helps me with. I was a pack-2 pack a day smoker and soon after I got my rec i was able to put down that nasty habit and stay away from it since. This has not been my frist attempt at quiting smoking but it has been the easiest so far.

This community of DR's, co-ops, dispensarys etc etc.... are providing natural/organic alternative medication to those who do not want to take pharmaceutical synthetics that have more side effects than the problem that it helps with. Let me ask you a question do you have co-pay for your anti depressants or your Vicodin that your Dr. wrote you a prescription for? Does your pharmacy let you have your meds if you don't pay your co pay? Does your DR see you without paying your copay?

IN MY OPINION ONE THING IS CLEAR

co-pays are like donations
prescriptions are like recs.

Am I wrong?........
Is asking a minimum donation from patients wrong?........

Think about it.... just my 2 pennys.

Oh and everything I say/posted in this thread is my opinion. I do not represent any organisation/lawfirm/co-ops/dispensary etc etc etc... I am just one man with an opinion and a love for organic meds.

And Sally next time Try and give you my last $2 I have to help that kid on t.v and you tell me you need 20.00. Guess what now im not giving you that 20 I was going to when i got payed. lol

Back
Top Bottom