Lawmaker: No Momentum For Medical Marijuana Bill

Warbux

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A state lawmaker said fear of a political backlash is keeping medical marijuana from becoming legal in Ohio.

State Rep. Bob Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, co-sponsored a bill last week that would make Ohio the 15th state to allow medicinal marijuana. But Hagan said the bill is certain to go nowhere because his colleagues in the Legislature aren't brave enough to pass it.

Earlier reports said the bill would establish a registry where patients would be exempt from prosecution -- and with a doctor's recommendation -- could receive doses of medical marijuana, 10TV News reported.

A 2009 poll conducted by the Institute for Policy Research at the University of Cincinnati found that 73 percent of Ohio adults favored allowing medical marijuana.

Amanda Wurst, a spokeswoman for Gov. Ted Strickland, said the governor believes that there are existing medicines available that provide appropriate patient care.

Other opponents say marijuana should go through the formal scrutiny of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Medical marijuana is currently legal in fourteen states, including Michigan, which legalized it last year, 10TV News reported.

News Hawk: Warbux 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: 10 TV News
Author: N/A
Contact: Columbus News, Weather & Sports | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News
Copyright: 2010 by 10TV.com
Website: Lawmaker: No Momentum For Medical Marijuana Bill | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

too no one in particular - many fear a political backlash here in IL too.

But wtf, if a majority is asking their reps for legalization, what kind of backlash are they worried about?

Does anybody know what the actual bill number is or where I can find the bill's text in full? I'd really like to know what all is in it.

To everyone in Ohio: Email your representatives. It's the very first thing I did when I found out about it. A representative loves to hear from private citizens, even if they disagree with their personal opinion. By emailing your politicians, they might start to think about the subject rather than simply blow it off. Somebody might have the heart to do the right thing and actually vote in your favor!

Make your letters neat, concise, and to the point: think like a formal business letter. Explain who you are and why they should be voting the way you think. Try not to make it sound like you're a stereotypical lazy stoner: someone else should check for spelling, grammar, and tone.

You can find a list of your representatives (and their emails and addresses) here: List of Ohio State Representatives by County

Back
Top Bottom