Leaves yellowing/dying. Lack of food/light or something else?

MJ 123

Hi everyone. I’d like to get some opinions as to what’s going on with these plants.

First of all it should be said that all is not well with them. They have hermied, possibly following a light leak after going to 12/12, or maybe from heat stress and/ or lack of humidity during particularly hot weather a few weeks ago. They are now almost 4 weeks into flowering. I know people say it’s pretty much a waste of time growing hermies but in the persuit of knowledge and experience they are being allowed to continue growing for the time being. Also Male parts are being removed as they appear but they’ve probably all been pollinated and will seed. We’ll see.

The issue at hand is the yellowing and dying off of the lower leaves. I understand this is often due to the plant being hungry due to underfeeding, nute lock out and so on. These plants have been fed first with Bio Bizz Grow starting at 1ml/litre and rising to 5ml/litre, and then in the two weeks proper to 12/12 Bio Bizz Bloom was introduced while cutting back on the grow by a corresponding amount. The current mix is 15ml Bloom+5ml Grow/5 litres water. The plants have always been left to dry before watering again and given only water without feed every other watering. Does this regimen sound like it’d leave the plants hungry?

Lock out? Can you get lock out using organic nutes? I understood it was easy to get from salt build up using chemical nutes but less of a problem with organics. PH is an unknown at the moment but the guy in the grow shop here say no one round here worries about it as the local water is close to what the plants like.

Could it be a lack of light penetrating down to the lower leaves? They plants are being lit from above with a 600w HPS. There are reflective screens placed around them which give some light from the side but maybe some additional light would help them.

The room temp was well into the 30s (centigrade) and humidity down to 30The temp is now back to the more usual 25c or so but the yellowing persists so I don’t think it’s a heat/RH issue.

How do these plants look? Can anyone tell what’s going on? Do they look hungry? Do they need flushed or just a higher concentration of nutes? Maybe they'd like to keep getting more Grow as well as the Bloom? Maybe it'd be better to give up these already compromised plants and try for better results with a new grow.

Thanks for reading.

hi i had a similar problem and it was caused by heat stress when i got the temps under control i started spraying the leaves and they went back to a nice green but maybe someone with more experience will give you better advice good luck :)

Hi Larsson, I did wonder about the heat but it's a lot cooler here now, has been for a couple of weeks but the problem still persists. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the plants are putting out new growth lower down which looks healthy with good colour but the plants seem to struggle to maintain this growth and it begins to die off. There are lots of bud sites and it seems a shame to give up on them even if they're hermies but only one of them seems to be developing much in the way of Tricomes, another has some and the third not many at all. Maybe these last two will catch up.

The following photo might explain things...

DSCF31753.JPG

Never mind being short of food or light, it's space these plants are desperate for. It's the same on the bottom too, worse if anything. Does this look ok or this plant totally pot bound which is likely to be the cause of the yellowing/dying leaves?

If so if they were re potted now would there be any chance of them recovering? I know they're only hermies but there are a fair amount of tricomes appearing and lots of bud sites still trying to develop.

Btw the pots are 10 litres.

Back
Top Bottom