Let Our Veterans Use Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

The social stigma of marijuana use has eased, three states have legalized the drug for general adult use and numerous states have legalized it as a prescription medication.

Marijuana's medicinal qualities are widely recognized. Its mildness compared with other prescription drugs like opioid painkillers is inarguable.

People across the political spectrum have acknowledged marijuana's usefulness and campaigned for its legalization. It requires a heartlessness most of us do not possess to withhold from people suffering from chronic and incurable conditions, like multiple sclerosis, the one drug that, some of them say, eases their symptoms.

Withholding medicinal marijuana from suffering veterans, when others are able to use the drug, is especially hard to justify. But wounded and sick veterans have a harder time than other patients getting marijuana prescriptions, even in states that have legalized the drug for medical purposes, because federal law still makes marijuana use illegal.

A recent Post-Star story described the predicament of Matthew Welch of Corinth, a corporal in the Army National Guard who was wounded in 2004 in Iraq. Prescriptions for his chronic pain caused serious side effects, leading to more prescriptions and more bad side effects.

Welch finally stopped taking the prescriptions. Since other patients have found relief with medical marijuana, Welch wants to try it. But the Department of Veterans Affairs won't cover a marijuana prescription.

We have heard a lot about the ways this country has failed veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan with limbs missing and minds disturbed. We are losing our veterans to suicide at a terribly high rate.

We should be doing everything we can to treat them and heal them. Medical marijuana, while not a panacea for pain or any other ailment, could be part of an effort to help veterans, particularly those who have not been helped by other prescription drugs.

Many users say marijuana relieves pain and symptoms of other combat-related afflictions, like PTSD, and does it more effectively and with fewer side effects than other prescription drugs.

Our country is reeling from widespread opioid abuse, which is linked to heroin addiction and has caused thousands of overdose deaths. Fatal overdoses from marijuana, meanwhile, are unheard of. While a psychological addiction to marijuana may develop through long-term use, it is not in the same category of destructiveness as addiction to opioids.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand has been a leader of the legislative effort to make prescription marijuana available to military veterans. Along with Sen. Cory Booker, another Democrat, and Sen. Rand Paul, a Republican, she is lead sponsor of the Compassionate Access, Research Expansion, and Respect States Act.

Despite its clunky name, the legislation would accomplish several important things, clearing the way for cannabis research and reclassifying marijuana on a federal level so it could be covered as a medication by federal agencies such as the VA.

Shrapnel shot into Cpl. Welch's legs when his vehicle ran over a roadside bomb in Iraq. He suffers pain he compared to having nails driven into his feet. There is no excuse for the federal government, which sent him into danger, failing to do everything in its power to help him now.

We're not advocating for pot to be sold along with draft beers in downtown Glens Falls. But we do want veterans to get the best care we can give, and in some cases, that would include medical marijuana.

Vet_and_Meds.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Let Our Veterans Use Medical Marijuana
Author: Editorial
Photo Credit: Mike Whiter

I would love to see a million man VET march on Washington, so we can really see just who really supports our troops and who only wants the troops to do our countries dirty work then shut the fuck up. It is time to call these politicians out and see exactly where they stand!!!!!

Well said OG. Career politicians are very well known for never admitting when they are wrong which is a sign of lack of integrity. They choose to place themselves above us and so are completely out of touch with reality and it would seem they prefer it that way. And what's worse when they are shown to be wrong they drag their heals in doing the right thing.

I'm a Viet Nam veteran and I legally grow my own MMJ so until some fool makes it illegal for me to do so all of this doesn't directly affect me and yet it very much does because Every day I experience many of the very same problems as my brothers and sisters veterans.

Thanks for your comment -- "Let Our Veterans Use Medical Marijuana".

Just a little update regarding the states that have "legalized" cannabis for adults. I believe at this time (early 2016); that four (4) states are in this category. (Do not forget) Alaska -- Colorado, Oregon, and Washington State. Cannabis should be removed from the schedule number one (1) listing, (it should not even be listed frankly.)

Thanks again.
1662931716225.png

I am a Iraq combat vet (USMC) and cannabis has completely helped me as a medicine. Funny how prescription drugs are readily available but cannabis is not allowed....a little contradictory.

Actually, some three to four years ago, the VA Administration sent a letter to all veterans about the use of medical marijuana. essentially they said if the Veteran was in a state that legally allowed the use of medical marijuana then the VA was not going to deny any veteran the Medical benefits and treatment they needed. The only thing the VA wants to know is if the Veteran is using MJ they want to know so they can moderate other prescriptions. I may be able to find my copy of the letter and scan it to file and post here if someone wants to read it.

Actually, some three to four years ago, the VA Administration sent a letter to all veterans about the use of medical marijuana. essentially they said if the Veteran was in a state that legally allowed the use of medical marijuana then the VA was not going to deny any veteran the Medical benefits and treatment they needed. The only thing the VA wants to know is if the Veteran is using MJ they want to know so they can moderate other prescriptions. I may be able to find my copy of the letter and scan it to file and post here if someone wants to read it.

True.

The managing of prescriptions and medical marijuana in the VA hospital system is, rightly, left up to individual doctors and patients.

Be it medical patients, vets, or religious groups, instead of asking for "special treatment" for themselves, demand equal freedom for all.

The legalization of MJ should be for everyone, not just a select few, but when I constantly hear politicians claiming they support the troops, then they turn around and vote against the troops, that really pisses me off. I personally am not a Veteran but my father was and my son is, as well as many other family members. They did their duty, they have gone above and beyond, if the politicians will not support them in their needs, then for CHRST sake stop claiming how much you support the troops.

Back
Top Bottom