Licensed Marijuana Grower Charged with Drug Crimes

Weedpipe

420 Member
MI — A Three Rivers shop owner cashing in on the emerging medical marijuana industry was arraigned Tuesday on felony drug charges.

Sean Muntian, 36, was charged with manufacturing marijuana, possession with the intent to deliver marijuana and maintaining a drug house, according to the St. Joseph County District Court.

He was arrested after officers from the Three Rivers Police Department searched his home and business, Triple Ripple Hydroponics, on Jan. 2.

Muntian’s lawyer, Michael Komorn, said his client is a licensed caregiver under Michigan’s medical marijuana program and committed no crime. The Southfield-based attorney said he has handled several medical marijuana cases similar to this.

“Our investigation shows that he is in compliance with state law. ...He was playing by the rules,” Komorn said. “Despite of all this, they decided to arrest him and destroy his operation.”

The Three Rivers Police Department referred questions to the St. Joseph County Prosecutor’s Office, which refused to comment on the case.

Muntian is currently out on a $10,000 bond. His next court date is Jan. 19.

At the time of the arrest, Muntian had been approved by the state as a caregiver but did not yet have his state-issued identification card, Komorn said. Under state law, applicants may possess and provide marijuana 20 days after approval without a card.

According to a search warrant obtained by the police, the department received a tip about a drug operation at Muntian’s house in the 100 block of South Andrews Street in Three Rivers. Police found six ounces of marijuana, paraphernalia and several roaches.

Muntian told police that the marijuana was for his patients and that a patient smoked earlier at his house, the warrant stated. He told police he does not smoke marijuana.

Police then searched Triple Ripple Hydroponics, 416 W. Michigan Ave., near the Three Rivers police station, according to the warrant. Inside the shop, police found four large marijuana plants, 18 small plants and growing supplies.

Muntian, who last year lost his job building manufactured homes, opened the store in December to supply hydroponic-growing systems, which can be used to grow marijuana indoors.

Under state law, caregivers may possess no more than 12 plants per patient and no more than 2.5 ounces of usable marijuana per patient.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Michigan Live
Author: Aaron Aupperlee | Kalamazoo Gazette
Copyright: 2009 Michigan Live LLC

And so it begins...:roorrip:

something about this story confuses me, it says that he is a licensed caregiver, but he said he dont use the marijuana, I thought the law states that in order to be a caregiver you also have to be a licensed patient using marijuana for a medical condition, im just wondering because it seems that there is a issue with there being marijuana smoked at his residence.

If so maybe he uses medibles. I could say I haven't smoked Marijuana in weeks, but that doesn't mean I have to admit to smoking hashish.

Anyone who has'nt been convicted of a drug offense can be a caregiver in Michigan. It's just more fun being a patient to boot..:roorrip:

Back
Top Bottom