Man Charged For Growing Medical Marijuana

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
An arrest warrant has been issued for a Madison Heights man who claims he has a legal right to possess 21 medical marijuana plants in his home.

Robert L. Redden is named in a warrant charging him with manufacturing 20 to 200 marijuana plants. Redden is also charged with being a repeat offender for having a prior marijuana conviction in March 2006.

Madison Heights police used a battering ram to break down Redden's front door March 30 to investigate a tip about someone growing marijuana in the home.

Redden, 59, told police he suffers from bone disease and two deteriorating hips, and was told by doctors that medical marijuana would ease his pain. He showed police officers documents he obtained from the nonprofit Hemp and Cannabis Foundation, which opened its first clinic in Michigan in December in Southfield. A doctor there qualified Redden and gave him a document to use medical marijuana, and from there he started plants from seeds in early March.

Police did not arrest Redden but seized the plants, some cash and some paperwork. At the time, Police Chief Kevin Sagan acknowledged he didn't know whether Redden broke the law, since rules for marijuana possession in Michigan under the state's new medical marijuana law had not been laid out yet by health officials.

Some of the plants belonged to Redden's girlfriend, who is also being charged, according to court records.

Madison Heights deputy police chief Anthony Roberts was unavailable for comment this morning.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Detroit News
Author: Jennifer Chambers
Copyright: 2009 The Detroit News
Contact: detnews.com | The Detroit News | Tuesday, April 14, 2009 | News, sports, features, blogs, photos and forums from Detroit and across Michigan
Website: Madison Heights man charged for growing medical marijuana | detnews.com | The Detroit News

"Not sure if he actually broke the law but I'm damn sure we gonna break down the door. "..... they couldn't have knocked? is a no knock warrant really needed here? What is one going to do with 21 plants in that short a time? they don't flush easily. Cant smoke or eat em.

What defines a plant? A cutting? A clone? A pot? A root system?

I am always a bit uncomfortable when I have a bunch of cuttings waiting to root. I never keep all the cuttings I just take a few of the best. But imagine getting busted for 50 plants when they are actually one plant cut into 50 pieces?

You gotta love cops. They could care less what the law is. I've seen a couple of these in my area too. Where a cop takes a disliking for you and destry your grow. Its like working with 12 year olds.lol

Yeah they do that because they know how much heart and effort you put into the grow that they like you to see them taking away what you love the most. I hate it when i check out youtube vids and they are walking away with bags full of nice buds and then sometimes they show you burning the plants to hell

So typical of fcking cops. You have a few plants for personal use, so they kick down your door take you to jail and charge you with growing 20 to 200 plants, are you freaking serious? The worst part is they'll probally try to charge him with drug trafficking as well. Thats what they always do.

Back
Top Bottom