Lighting for autos

Chile 420

So I have 2 auto seedlings: and autoblue (11 days), and an AK auto (2 days). The AK auto was just born yesterday and is looking pretty good. although the autoblue was great for almost the first week, it has not shown signs of growth for days.

As far as lighting, I have the plants in the closed window (northern exposure: living in the southern hemisphere) during the day while I am work. At this point it is not that hot yet (its spring time) and days are somewhat cloudy. However, the sun is pretty strong in this part of the world due to a hole in the ozone layer directly overhead. Anyway, despite the cloudy days id like to say that the plant gets decent light in the window combined with a greenhouse effect which makes it more humid and hotter.

Once the sun goes down, I take my two baby autos over to the closet where i now have 2 (24 watt intake) 130 watt output 6500k cool white bulbs which are set in a home made reflective fixture just a couple/few inches from the babes. (I also have two flourescent tubes (18w/t8) that i used the first few days but now doubt if they are even worth having in there...thoughts?)

At this point in time, I have left the light on all evening/night (giving it 24 hours between the somewhat cloudy day sun and the flourescent bulbs). At the same time I have also heard that with autos it is better to have 18/6 going on or something similar (20/4). Yeserday I did and 18/6.

My questions (especially for people who have experience with autos) are:

- Is it ok to use both natural sun light as well as flourescent?
- Is 24 hours ok or should it be 18/6 or what?
- Does it need to be a fixed schedule (every day the same amount of darkness)?
- And if so, does that same amount of darkness need to come at the same time (example - every night at 8 it gets darkness for 6 hours)?

(The autoblue started off great and then kind of hasnt shown any signs of growth for like 6 days now, but i think this might have to do with other factors)

Please give me any and all suggestions/comments on my lighting situation. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!

If you would like pictures of my set up, just let me know.

IMO you're stressing the shit out of them. If it's indoor, let it be 100% indoor. If it's outdoor, move the lights out and use it as a supplement. The schedule should be fixed, without large variation of light/dark cycles.

You can use the 24/0 program, but the plant will rest (even with the lights on) for about 4 hours, so it is a waste. 18/6 is known to work so stick with that.

Thanks for your response Bushwacker,

So what your saying is that even as an outdoor plant, I can still use the lights as support in the evening, but I need to move them back a bit? Like how far?

I will start them on a fixed schedule as of today.

All opinons are more than welcome!

I think moving them in and out of the window because of more than one factor.

1.It could be getting to hot in the window directly in the sun.
2.confusing the plants with different enviroments (window) room (widow) room
3. I have read a lot of journals about some strains of autos that will not flower in 24 hrs of light.

IMO I would leave them in the grow room under the lights to get better control over the environment.There is never a cloudy day in there.

I don't know the growing session where you live but if its in it then they will do good out side also unless they get stomped or eaten by animals lol :)

Hope it works out for you....SOLO

Auto seedlings are sensitive.

Give them one environment and stick to it.

I wouldn't grow either, if you were carrying me around in your pocket all day and not letting me sleep.

If it's springtime, leave them under lights and plant them out when they are bigger .

18/6 is good for autos.

Back
Top Bottom