Looking to build a digital timer. help anyone?

stokesy

Ok, so I have my semi-automatic (soil) watering system in place. I switch the pump on and it distributes the water to the pots. What i want to do is stagger the watering process, so that I get less run-off when the water runs down the inside of the pots and into the saucer.
Seems to me the way to do this is to gradually water.
So, what I'm looking for is a timer circuit that will switch on for say, 20 seconds every 10 minutes or so. That then operates the contactor which controls the pump.

Had a look around but I've not come up with anything yet.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ideally, looking for a kit of parts along with a circuit diagram...

I'm ok with electronics and soldering etc....

Re: looking to build a digital timer..help anyone?

Arduino? Never heard of it. Had a look at the site, and it seems complex. Trying hard to figure out exactly what the product is...

HA -- yes. Cycle Timer... the correct title for what I'm looking for..
I'll go look now..
Tks...
However - anyone else is very welcome - indeed, ENCOURAGED to contribute...

Arduino? Never heard of it. Had a look at the site, and it seems complex. Trying hard to figure out exactly what the product is...

HA -- yes. Cycle Timer... the correct title for what I'm looking for..
I'll go look now..
Tks...
However - anyone else is very welcome - indeed, ENCOURAGED to contribute...

Arduino is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy-to-use hardware and software. It's intended for artists, designers, hobbyists, and anyone interested in creating interactive objects or environments.

Add a wall wart with 5v, a 120v 15amp relay, some wiring and soldering. Some simple programming.....

Sorry if it looks overly complicated, you said "I'm ok with electronics and soldering etc....". Here is a link of a more complicated system, but touches on what I was replying about. Mushroom Environment Control - Arduino Powered

Prairie

Hey! Not taking it the wrong way... but there seems to be a dearth of anything under £100 or so...and haven't found any that will do the job I want.
A lot of the electronic equipment associated with controlled hydroponics seems to be over priced. It's not a big load of work or design - it's a pretty straightforward electronics project.
It would be easier to buy one if I could find something that fitted the bill at a reasonable price...

Thanks!

Prairie Poet... what is a Wall Wart? Looks like a spelling error, but I can't figure it.

The Arduino system requires programming in C, or C+ which I'm not familiar with. It DOES look like it would do the job with ease... apart from the programming on my part.. however - it's a start..

Thanks again.

what is a Wall Wart?
Thanks again.

Sorry, what I call "Wall wart" is electronic slang for a small transformer with a plug attached, that hangs off of your electrical outlet.

Like what your cell phone uses to charge.

Prairie

I've found a kit which is up to 5 mins on and 5 mins off. That'll do. 6 pots to water with around 24 liters of water/noots.I'll let you know how it goes - it'll take about 2 weeks tho - I'm away from base for a time..

maybe this one will help they have different timing requirements on the site to better suit your needs and you can buy the unassembled version for about 8$ less

well I was going to put the link in here because I did originally get it from a forum here but now I am not sure if they are sponsors. so google cana kit cyclic timers and you should see it CK191M60 model number

Back
Top Bottom