Louisiana Lawmakers Weighing Bills On Medical Marijuana

Robert Celt

Bills filed in the state Legislature that propose to loosen restrictions on medical marijuana could open the door for the legalization of recreational marijuana.

Area lawmakers say they're cautious about taking that next step, but are leaving open the possibility that they could support the eventual legalization of marijuana.

Louisiana legalized the use of medical marijuana for medical treatments - as long as the doctor wrote a prescription - in the 1990s. The law was merely window-dressing, as the state didn't allow the sale and use of medical marijuana until last year.

Twenty-three states and Washington, D.C., have legalized the use and distribution of medical marijuana and actively distribute the narcotic. Louisiana has designated LSU and Southern University to grow medical marijuana, but have not started.

Bernard LeBas, D-Ville Platte, introduced House Bill 446, which would establish marijuana pharmacies and set up a nonrefundable, $5,000 permit to be one the state's 10 licensed distributors. House Bill 1043, by Houma Republican Tanner Magee, would lift the limit on the number of distributors.

But marijuana is still illegal under federal law, so pharmacies and doctors face legal issues in prescribing and dispensing the drug. Senate Bill 271, introduced by Fred Mills, R-New Iberia, attempts to circumvent the federal law by saying doctors can "recommend" using medical marijuana, instead of "prescribing" it.

Mills' Senate Bill 180 would protect citizens who have been prescribed medical marijuana from being prosecuted.

Proponents of legalization say the state could tax recreational use and use it as a crutch for its recurring budget woes. Lawmakers estimate taxing marijuana could bring in about $300 million a year.

But conservative legislators say they're not willing to sell the state's soul.

"There are a lot of things we could pass and tax and our budget issues would be solved," said state Rep. Beryl Amedee, R-Houma. "We could legalize prostitution. We could legalize LSD and cocaine. We could legalize all the drugs in Louisiana, but what are the consequences?"

Legalization of marijuana is imminent, said state Sen. Troy Brown, D-Geismar. He said doesn't support the legalization right now but could with the right legislation.

"We in Louisiana are normally more Christian-centered in our thoughts," Brown said. "We're normally one of the last states to expand into doing such things, like legalizing marijuana. I think there is a time in the short term future that we'll legalize marijuana."

Rep. Jerome "Dee" Richard, a Thibodaux independent, said he doesn't support the legislation in question, but promises to "keep an open mind."

"What I fear more than anything else is opening that door," he said. "We have enough trouble in society right now."

State Sen. Bret Allain, R-Franklin, said he supports medical marijuana but is concerned about expanding the law to allow recreational use of the drug.

That's also a concern for state Rep. Jerry "Truck" Gisclair, D-Larose.

"Coming back from the Vietnam War, I came into a new world," he said. "In 1971, being away for four years, I guess the hippie movement was a shock to me. A lot of my friends were smoking marijuana. I feel it had affected them in a negative way. I just think we're going to have too many issues."

Magee said he filed his bill to avoid creating an environment ripe for corruption.

"This is a pill with no hallucinogenic properties at all," Magee said. "It's less harmful and will have less impact than hydrocodone. Why are we being so cautious?"

dispensary_good1.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Louisiana Lawmakers Weighing Bills On Medical Marijuana
Author: Jacob Batte
Photo Credit:

Back
Top Bottom