Lumens for growing

Oblivion-

Hi what lumens would be more suited for the grow stage of a plant?
At the moment i have one 250w MH light but looking on the suppliers web site it is saying that there is only 22000 lumens given of it.
Venture's 250 Watt Uni-Form® pulse start metal halide lamps

I have been thinking my plants were a little small 10 days from growing which would explain the problem i think i have with a low output of lumens,

I have a 250w sodium HPS light for the flowering but thats a few weeks off.

Sorry if this has been covered but i have searched and couldnt find anything.

22000 is fine for the growth stage. many people just use floros and they don't put out 22000 lumens. My 6 x 2ft T5 fixture is only 12,000 total and my clones are growing just fine. they would grow faster and denser under my MH 400's but I have plants in my flowering tent using the 600's currently so the T5 will have to do for now.

You'll want more for flowering though and a different spectrum like what HPS gives off. If you plan on vegging monster plants then you may want to go with a higher output MH but you should be fine with that light. Just keep it as close to the plants as you can without burning them. Lumen output exponentially degrades the further away from the light you are.

I read that fluoros light only penetrates a foot or two downward through the top branches. So I am guessing you should only use fluoros for short strains, clones, seedlings, and mothers. I say mothers because you want to keep your mother plants growth under control. Flouros should only be a foot away from the top of a plant, the closer the better. You just have to keep moving your lights up to accommodate growth.

Back
Top Bottom