MA: Man Advertises $325 'Empty' Plastic Baggies With 'Free' Marijuana Inside

Katelyn Baker

A Western Mass. marijuana entrepreneur may have put himself in a sticky legal situation by advertising his wares on Craigslist.

As spotted by NEPR, several listings have popped up on the Western Mass. Craigslist page, offering "dispensary grade marijuana," competitive prices and quick delivery.

Though personal possession of marijuana is now legal in Massachusetts, selling it is not. Gifts of less than an ounce are allowed, however - and it is in that provision that the seller, who identifies himself as Corey, believes he has found a loophole.

"Disclaimer: I am selling you an empty bag. Marijuana placed in that empty sandwich bag is simply a legal gift, not connected in anyway, to any sale," one ad reads.

The empty bags retail from $20, with one gram of marijuana included, to $325 for nearly an ounce - right below the state's legal transfer limit.

NEPR spoke with Northwestern District Attorney David Sullivan, who threw cold water on the seller's legal workaround.

"To say an empty baggie costs $350 is ridiculous," Sullivan told NEPR. "I think it's a clear fraud on its face."

Gifts of marijuana, while legal, are also not allowed to be advertised to the public, according to the law.

The seller told NEPR via text that his customers are carded to ensure they are 21.

Asked by MassLive whether he feared prosecution, he said no, expressing faith that police had higher priority targets to investigate. He has encountered police while carrying before and was let off with a warning after coming clean, he said.

"I've been pulled over before, I told the police officers exactly what I was doing, they searched my vehicle, look at the pot and even used my scale and calibration weight to check it," he wrote in a text. "I never travel with more than an ounce though so all was good, and honestly I don't think they would've cared if it was."

There is worse business happening on Craigslist, the seller argued.

"The illegal sex trafficking, the prostitution, there's people on there selling cocaine and prescription painkillers and all types of things," he wrote. "Why would the police want to focus their resources on someone who's legally growing six plants and gifting that medicine to people who so direly need it?"

His Craigslist postings also suggest that he is not worried about the publicity.

"ALSO WE JUST DID AN INTERVIEW WITH WFCR. Its 88.5 WFCR and not sure exactly when on there. It will also be on NEPR.net this evening. Check it out and hear your boy Corey from masscannabis kick some knowledge!" a Jan. 1 marijuana ad said.

Corey does not appear to be the only person offering marijuana on the local Craigslist page. One ad from December says that the seller is "accepting donations" in exchange for marijuana to raise money for opening a retail marijuana store in 2018. Another offers "clones" - cuttings from a marijuana plant - for $20.

The opening of retail marijuana shops has been delayed until at least mid-2018, following a rushed vote by lawmakers in December that sparked protest by marijuana advocates.

Personal sales, however, will remain banned under the new law.

21802755-mmmain.png

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Man Advertises $325 'Empty' Plastic Baggies On Craigslist With 'Free' Marijuana Inside
Author: Dan Glaun
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom