Mainers Have Medical Marijuana Advice For Mass

Truth Seeker

On Jan. 1, Massachusetts will become the 18th state to legalize marijuana for medicinal purposes.

The Department of Public Health will then have another year to figure out how the program will work and to license at least 14, but no more than 35, non-profit treatment centers.

Medical marijuana is already legal in Vermont, Connecticut and Rhode Island, but the most established program in New England is in the state of Maine.

Dr. Dustin Sulak, an osteopath who practices in both Hallowell and Falmouth, is one of the state's leading advocates.

"The demand for it is huge, and it's because we're getting great results," says Sulak.

Sulak and other Maine physicians can certify patients for marijuana use if they have one of the qualifying conditions outlined in the state law. That includes cancer, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, Crohn's Disease and chronic pain.

Sgt. Ryan Begin of Montville, Maine went to see Sulak for chronic pain stemming from an injury sustained from a bomb explosion in Iraq in 2004. Begin, who smokes between four and seven joints per day, says he prefers marijuana to the heavy narcotics that were presribed for him at the VA hospital.

"I can think better now. I feel good about my life and I take zero pills," Begin says.

Here in Maine, patients can use up to 2.5 oz of medical marijuana every 15 days. They can grow it themselves indoors, have one of the state's 700 licensed caregivers grow it for them, or purchase it at one of Maine's eight non-profit dispensaries.

"Don't be afraid of it," says Becky DeKeuster, the Executive Director for Wellness Connection, the non-profit that runs four of Maine's eight dispensaries. "I hope the work we're doing in Maine sets the example for how successful it can be."

DeKeuster says they've helped at least 2,000 Mainers feel much better.

Greenwell-Joints_t479.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: necn.com
Author: necn.com
Contact: NECN - Breaking News, Boston Weather, politics and the Latest Business, Health, Arts and Sports

Back
Top Bottom