Marijuana Advocate Avoids Jail

Wilbur

A local man who admits to growing, selling, and smoking his own marijuana dodges a major legal bullet. We've been following the story of Pierre Werner for several years now. He's an advocate for medical marijuana who prosecutors call a drug dealer.

Despite a felony conviction, Werner won't be headed to prison. Judge Valerie Adair says she doesn't think prison time is the answer. Instead, Werner will serve three years probation. But prosecutors aren't convinced he'll follow the rules.

Pierre Werner has never denied he smokes pot. In fact, he's done it on camera more than once. Werner says he needs the drug for his bipolar disorder. But prosecutors believe he's well beyond the bounds of what medical marijuana laws intended.

Last year, Werner was arrested after police found more than 100 marijuana plants at his Las Vegas home. He later pled guilty to one count of possession with intent to sell. At Thursday's sentencing, Judge Adair had the option of sending Werner to prison. But decided probation was a better fit if he stays out of trouble.

Outside the courtroom Werner told News 3 he's thankful to be going home. "I wanted to explain to the judge I wanted to go to Amsterdam to buy my medicine. I don't want to grow anymore. I want to go buy it at Walgreens or a CVS pharmacy."

Werner is not giving up, however. He still wants a business license to sell medical marijuana and he plans to pursue it in civil court. The judge says if Werner violates any part of his probation, she'll have no choice but to put him behind bars.

Newshawk: user - 420 Magazine
Source: News 2 (Las Vegas)
Pubdate: 9 November 2006
Copyright: 2006 WorldNow and KVBC

Hey wake up and smell the Buds. Listen to the Judge. Stay Cool man, unless you want to be Bubbas Bitch for a few years. This would be his shit to deal with. Not the systems fault.

Probation is a delayed invitation to prison..

Back
Top Bottom