Marijuana Moratorium Upsets Some Clarkston Business Owners

The General

Washington State - Leaders from cities and counties all across the State of Washington are working to implement the legalization of marijuana. KLEW News explains it's going to take a bit longer for the City of Clarkston. "Signify by saying I," said Clarkston Mayor Kathleen Warren. 'I' Opposed 'I'." Marijuana shops, grows and distribution centers won't be in Clarkston for at least another six months. The new moratorium was passed by the Clarkston City Council at Monday night's meeting. But not without quite a bit of opposition.

"You're putting the shackles on your businessmen and your community people into entering what's going to be a very lucrative, very profitable business," said entrepreneur Rob Dunn. "We need jobs here in the Valley, we need industry in the Valley and we need to be competitive," said Clarkston businessman, Bill Thomas. "When you realize it's not just cannabis we're talking about," said Clarkston resident William Finch. "We're talking about hemp an industrial plant that has resources that is kept from our economy because of a law having to do with a fear about a drug."

Some of the community members who spoke against the six month hold said they're entrepreneurs ready to open up pot shops. Supporters like a representative from a anti-drug and alcohol group commended the councilors for putting the delay on the table. "Let's closely watch and learn from other communities who are beginning to implement this law, and avoid what goes wrong," said Clarkston EPIC Spokesperson, Kristi Sharpe. "This six months just gives us the legal aspects to get our ducks in a line," said council member, Larry Baumberger. In the end, six councilors voted for the moratorium and one councilor, George Nash voted against it. The moratorium is slated for six months. However if the Zoning and Planning Commission is able to draft up regulatory rules for pot shop owners sooner, the pot ban could be withdrawn early.

Cannabis_Flower3.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Klewtv.com
Author: Veronica Miracle
Contact: Contact Us | Contact Us | KLEW CBS 3 - News, Weather and Sports - Lewiston, ID
Website: Marijuana moratorium upsets some Clarkston business owners |

Back
Top Bottom