Marijuana Possession Citations Up In Green Bay Area

Green Bay police report a 51 percent increase in citations for possession of marijuana over last year's numbers.

Police issued 256 citations for possession of marijuana as of Aug. 9 this year, according to police records. Last year at this time, they had issued 169 citations.

"It doesn't surprise me," said Lt. David Poteat of the Brown County Drug Task Force.

Poteat said agents have seen an increased amount of marijuana on the streets at lower prices.

Authorities arrested 12 people last week and destroyed 10,000 marijuana plants in connection with a massive marijuana-growing operation in Oconto and Menominee counties. A home at 969 Howard St. in Green Bay is linked to the operation, and authorities executed a search warrant Wednesday.

Officials can't explain the increase but attribute it in part to accessibility, cost and social acceptance.

Marijuana can grow locally outdoors, so it's easily accessible, Poteat said. And because it can be grown practically anywhere, it's difficult to stop production, said De Pere Police Chief Derek Beiderwieden.

Marijuana is cheaper than trending drugs, such as ecstasy or crystal meth.

And increased social acceptance has fueled its use, Director Eric Dunning of Ashwaubenon Public Safety said.

The drug might be entering the county from Canada and Mexico, or from states that have legalized medical marijuana, such as Colorado and California, Poteat said.

Last year, half of the 951 drug-related charges filed in Brown County involved marijuana. District Attorney John Zakowski said comparable statistics for 2008 were unavailable because the county has inadequate staff to compile data.

City of De Pere numbers were not immediately available, but Beiderwieden said the department has seen a "substantial increase" in possession of marijuana citations.

A first offense carries a $366 fine under the city's municipal ordinance, including court costs. A first offense in Green Bay carries an $870 fine.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Oshkosk Northwestern
Author: Charles Davis
Copyright: 2010 Oshkosk Northwestern

I expect in alot of areas that we will see this as a pattern. We know there are some cities that embrace Prop 19 and others that will be neutral. If they are against Prop 19, one way to make their argument would be to start cracking down on mere position. With higher citations/arrests, they can say "look at the problem now and it will be worse if legalized". Hopefully, people do not fall for this one. Be safe!

A lot of the cops in that, and surrounding areas, are flat out hicks.

I was pulled over about an hour north of Green Bay (heading to Upper Michigan). I was in a brand new truck, I had short hair and was dressed in business casual clothes, some expensive jewelry (I was going through a phase at the time) and the cop kept saying "I think you are on something". He took me out of my truck and had me do a sobriety test. He patted me down and found my money clip with a substantial amount of money. He seen the money and his eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. He then wanted to search my car. I was not smoking at the time, I had taken some time off from smoking and had nothing smoke related in my life. He and his partner tore my vehicle up and looked in every nook and cranny. I come up completely clean. Motherfucker still gave me a speeding ticket after all that trouble. I am still pissed off about that.

Remember you do not have to perform any roadside field sobriety tests, they are designed for you to fail. You have every right to deny to perform them, of course you may be asked to take a chemical test and or etc.

256(#of fines)X366(Lowest fine of the two)=$93,696.00 Cha Ching.

Remember you do not have to perform any roadside field sobriety tests, they are designed for you to fail. You have every right to deny to perform them, of course you may be asked to take a chemical test and or etc.

256(#of fines)X366(Lowest fine of the two)=$93,696.00 Cha Ching.

Thanks for the advice. I would not have cooperated with them in the first place but I was trying to get out of the speeding ticket and I was Completely clean. Fucking pricks.

Back
Top Bottom