Marijuana Smokers Are Thinner And Healthier Than Non-Users

Truth Seeker

A recent study published in the Journal of American Medicine has some conclusions that might make marijuana advocates pretty excited. According to the study, the potent plant usually known for causing the munchies might actually help people be thinner. Researches looked at the effect of the drug on the metabolic processes and discovered a correlation between smaller waist circumference and marijuana use.

The results showed that, in addition to being thinner, marijuana users appeared to be more healthy overall than those who have never used marijuana.

The study looked at more than 4,600 people, 12 percent of whom said they were current marijuana users and 42 percent of whom said they had used in the past. Previous research had shown that marijuana users had a lower prevalence for diabetes and obesity but this was the first study where scientists tried to determine if there was a link between insulin and glucose levels and marijuana usage, Yahoo Shine reported.

According to the background section of the study "there are limited data regarding the relationship between cannabinoids and metabolic processes. Epidemiologic studies have found lower prevalence rates of obesity and diabetes mellitus in marijuana users compared with people who have never used marijuana, suggesting a relationship between cannabinoids and peripheral metabolic processes. To date, no study has investigated the relationship between marijuana use and fasting insulin, glucose, and insulin resistance."

The study concludes: "with the recent trends in legalization of marijuana in the United States, it is likely that physicians will increasingly encounter patients who use marijuana and should therefore be aware of the effects it can have on common disease processes, such as diabetes mellitus. We found that current marijuana use is associated with lower levels of fasting insulin, lower HOMA-IR and smaller waist circumference."

images5.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: opposingviews.com
Author: Evan Bleier
Website: Study: Marijuana Smokers Are Thinner And Healthier Than Non-Users

Awesome post... You know I will be using this study in defense of my favorite plant.

:thanks:

I have lived a healthy life and seldom need to see DRS and the meds that they did prescribe I replaced with cannabis long before the push for it to be legal medicine. to me cannabis is the medicine for everything!

Exactly the same here, cannabis is my only medication with the lack of side effects, it's the best medicine for many medicinal reasons!

:Namaste:

I have lived a healthy life and seldom need to see DRS and the meds that they did prescribe I replaced with cannabis long before the push for it to be legal medicine. to me cannabis is the medicine for everything!

Back
Top Bottom