Marijuana Subject Of Liberal Town Hall Meeting In Barrie - Canada

Shandar

Elaine Whitfield sat in the audience of a town hall meeting and silently cheered.

She was one of approximately 50 people who attended the non-partisian Barrie-Innisfil Federal Liberal Association meeting at 92 Heritage Square Sunday afternoon in Barrie to discuss the legalization of marijuana in Canada.

The discussion, surrounding medical marijuana and its possible positive pain-relieving side-effects for Whitfield's children, means the world to her.

"My one son has a mitochondrial disease, and I just spent the morning at Sick Kids Hospital with my other two getting tests done. I passed this on to my children," Whitfield said. She said the disease that creates dysfunctioning blood cells, causing epilepsy and chronic muscle degeneration, is hereditary.

Her 22-year-old son, who asked his name not be used, said they're trying to remain optimistic after the diagnosis earlier this year.

"It's so confusing, I'm trying to cut out everything like alcohol and caffeine to try to get a handle on it," he said.

But Whitfield wants more help from the federal government to help her son when he experiences seizures.

"I need to do it legally. I could grow some (marijuana) myself, but it's important to stay on the right side of the law," she said.

Colin Wilson, who recently withdrew himself from the association's board after announcing he was seeking the nomination for the Barrie-Innisfil federal riding, said after the meeting it was one of several town hall events his party plan on holding during the run-up to the 2015 election. (A date for the local Liberal nomination meeting has yet to be determined).

"So many perspectives were coming forward, it was great. This was a success beyond our imagination," Wilson said.

A panel of experts, including retired policeman Paul Bailey who spoke out against legalization, Fleur Ottaway who is attempting to access medical marijuana to ease both her fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis, and Micheline Robichaud, who is fighting for easier access for her son, spoke at the meeting.

Ottaway understands the political hot potato of legalizing — or at least making medical marijuana more accessible — but after years of fighting for it, she's glad to see meetings on the topic.

"It's a political thing and also I can understand doctors don't want to be the gatekeepers, so it's tough for people like us," she said.

"It was a very good discussion. We heard a lot of stories about people who need it and can't get it," she said.

Adam English, president of the Barrie-Innisfil Federal Liberal Association, chaired the meeting. He asked the public to attend the public meeting or call in their vote on the legalization of marijuana in Canada to the Yes hotline: 705-230-1093 or vote No by calling: 705-230-1094.

The results are expected out by the end of this week.

Canada_liberal.jpg

News Moderator: Shandar @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Barrie Examiner
Author: Cheryl Browne

Back
Top Bottom