Marijuana Users Are Safer Drivers Than Non-Marijuana Users, New Study Shows

420 Warrior

A new study released by United States auto insurance quote provider 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org shows that statistically speaking, marijuana users are safer drivers than non-marijuana users.

"What law enforcement agencies and insurers do not understand is that driving while high is actually a safe activity".

In a recent study, 4AutoinsuranceQuote.org, a national quote provider for online car insurance quotes, cites a strong correlation between traffic-related accidents and marijuana use. The study, which looks at statistics regarding accidents, traffic violations, and insurance prices, seeks to dispel the thought that "driving while stoned" is dangerous.

In the study, 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org points out that the only significant effect that marijuana has on operating a motor vehicle is slower driving. 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org says, while referencing a study by the US National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA), that driving slower "is arguably a positive thing" and that driving under the influence of marijuana "might even make you a safer driver." A similar study by the NHTSA shows that drivers with THC (the active ingredient in marijuana) in their system have accident responsibility rates below that of drug free drivers.

In fact, a recent study shows that use of medical marijuana has caused traffic related fatalities to drop by up to nine percent in states that have legalized its use. This study, titled "Medical Marijuana Laws, Traffic Fatalities, and Alcohol Consumption", conducted by Mark Anderson and Daniel Rees in November 2011, shows that increased marijuana use amongst adults has decreased alcohol related traffic deaths in said states. This study provides solid evidence that marijuana is not only a safe substitute for alcohol, but it also makes for more safer drivers.

"Marijuana users often say that when they are high, they feel like they are driving 80 miles per hour but actually are only going 30 miles per hour," 4AutoInsuranceQuote.org CEO James Shaffer says, "when somebody is drunk driving, on the other hand, they often feel like they are driving 30 miles per hour but are actually driving 80 miles per hour. This is what makes alcohol dangerous behind the wheel, and marijuana safe."

As an auto insurance quote provider, 4autoinsurancequote.org says that marijuana use can also have an indirect effect on insurance rates. Because of the correlation between marijuana use and accident responsibility rates, they say, marijuana users, as a whole, can expect to see lower insurance rates than non-marijuana users.

"The hypocrisy of it all is that if you get caught driving under the influence of marijuana, you will be fined and perhaps thrown into jail. What's worse is that your insurance rates will definitely increase due to the traffic violation," says Mr. Shaffer, "What law enforcement agencies and insurers do not understand is that driving while high is actually a safe activity. I guess the key to safer driving is to use marijuana, but to do it under-wraps."

cheech_and_chongsmoke.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: PRWeb
Copyright: © 1997-2012, Vocus PRW Holdings, LLC.

Finley a study that says what I have been saying for a while
but if you make it legal to smoke wile driving will the stats go the other way
cause: some ppl wile driving stoned drive better / slower because they don't wanna get caught

just call me 4

Yea 4/20/08, I've been saying this for years too my friend.

TBH, what I've been saying is a little different though, as what I tell people is that it starts with being a good, cautious and responsible driver to begin with, period!

Medicated or not, if your a terrible driver to start with, you are a danger to others on the road...Bottom line!

I'd be willing to stake a wager on the fact that I'll drive safer than ANY noob driver on the road, anywhere! Even if I medicate before and they don't!

The main problem with drivers on the road these days, (less the fact that there are too many of them) is that people aren't taught how to drive properly anymore...I mean, they took driver's education out of schools, parent's don't spend the time teaching kids how to be good drivers anymore and the DOT drivers licence test is an absolute joke, that doesn't properly test people, like they used to!...What do we expect? And it has nothing to do with Cannabis, it's about piss poor drivers, who should be taught better how to drive!

As a professional driver, with over to a million miles under my belt in a big rig, I drove almost every single mile while medicated...Um, oh yea, and I never had one single incident the whole time either! Why? Because I'm a good, cautious and responsible driver...It's that simple!

I only wish they would test me while driving medicated...I'll take any test, any time...Bring it on! Where do I sign up for a test, on medicated driving? I'd totally be down for that!

And by the way, Cannabis is the best cure for road rage too...Believe that! ;)

10-4 that about road rage

can we call the slow the medicated lane now lol

and thanks for your years of service as a big rig driver
yall dont get the respect you deserve

you can call me 4

can we call the slow the medicated lane now lol

Yep, you can call it anything you want, as long as you stay out of my "Hammer Lane"...LOL :rofl: ("hammer lane" is trucker speak for "fast lane", lol)

and thanks for your years of service as a big rig driver
yall dont get the respect you deserve

Thanks my friend, it is a tougher life than people realize...Lonely! VERY LONELY! Agonizingly lonely! O-M-G! I won't even get started about the sleep deprivation thing...That's the worst! It's been several years now since I was a driver and I'm still tired, lol

Me, after about 20 straight hours on the road...Seriously!--->:thedoubletake::trance::snooze::thedoubletake::trance:

I once drove for 30 straight hours...Talk about dangerous!? (3)10 hour round trips straight, to/from Atlanta, GA<-->Charlotte, NC---NOT FUN! "Thank God" those days are over! :)

I dont think you would keep up with me in the "Hammer lane"
I ride a goldwing :)

even medicated its hard to drive slow

just got from a nice ride boy do I feel great
as far as longevity I rode 1300 miles to minn from spokane than 1300 back
I know justa milk run for you
I hurt bad in the seat area but than I medicated and felt much better

I am 5-10 over the speed limit when not medicated. By definition that would make me a more dangerous driver--even though I am not aggressive.

I am a slower more patient driver while medicated...i sometimes catch myself under the speed limit.

Sadly, this is yet another example of the science proving the "punks on dope" right.

I am 5-10 over the speed limit when not medicated. By definition that would make me a more dangerous driver--even though I am not aggressive.

I am a slower more patient driver while medicated...i sometimes catch myself under the speed limit.

Sadly, this is yet another example of the science proving the "punks on dope" right.

That's why cruse control is my friend...Makes it much easier to maintain consistent speed and keep your eyes on the road, which is the most important thing.

It seems like people pay more attention to the stuff inside their cars than they do what's around and in front of them and that's where the real danger is...Not paying attention!

Medicated or not, you have to keep your eyes on the road!

As a professional driver, there is a bit of advice that I'll share with everyone, to keep you guys safe....Never, but NEVER, EVER! hover right beside or behind a big truck...EVER! Golden rule! Don't do it, because too many things can/do go wrong!

Tires blow, things fall off, drivers are tired and they swerve...ANYTHING can and does happen with those trucks...Believe me!

Either, quickly pass them or stay way/far behind them, because a tire through the windshield will end badly! Trust me, I've seen it and it ain't pretty!

Please stay safe guys! :thumb:

Newshawk, I agree with everything except
"Medicated or not, if your a terrible driver to start with, you are a danger to others on the road...Bottom line!"
I have always been a total idiot on the road when not medicated! i need my meds in order to drive safe.

Newshawk, I agree with everything except
"Medicated or not, if your a terrible driver to start with, you are a danger to others on the road...Bottom line!"
I have always been a total idiot on the road when not medicated! i need my meds in order to drive safe.

Agreed, it really comes down to the individual, to how they drive and under what condition they need to be in, to drive at their best? If that makes sense?

TBH, I found that, what frame of mind I happen to be in at the time, determines whether I'll be driving at my best or not and that Cannabis is not necessarily the determining factor either. Like, if I haven't gotten a good, restful night's sleep, I tend to be more lax and probably more care free in my driving and if I've had a really stressful day, I'll tend to be more aggressive and prone to road rage, but if I've had a good/fun day, I'm probably more at the top of my game, but no matter which category I happen to be in at the time, I ALWAYS keep my head on a swivel and my eyes on the road, as 9 out of 10 times, it's not you that will cause the wreck, it's the other guy that will hit you, if your not paying attention to your surroundings and prepared to maneuver.

It's just the paying attention and keeping distance and not break checking right in front of people and 420 other things you can do to stay out of trouble, that make you a good driver or not.

Believe me, I could write a book on why some people keep their cars torn up all the time and why others don't, but for lack of time, I'll spare y'all...LOL

I will say this about it though...My dad started teaching me how to drive on back country, dirt roads, when I was 11 years old and what I learned was totally invaluable, for what was to come when I was let loose at 16, as I already knew all the fundamentals, way before I ever took that first trip on my own.

That's the exact same way my son will learn too, and the way all kids should be prepared, before they are let loose on the road, because it's the parent's that need to be fully, 420% confident that their kids are properly prepared to handle that kind of responsibility, not the kids, who are just full of piss and vinegar and only think their prepared. ~IMO

Back
Top Bottom