Marmorated Stink Bugs

Newfun

I am hoping that the 420 folks can help me. We have "Marmorated Stink Bugs".
They appear to have bored holes in stems of my lovely ladies outdoors. They are the only insect I find. They are a little different than other stink bugs I have seen. They have a unique design on their backs.
They were around more a few weeks back. I had to check for them 3 to 4 times a day because organic insecticides do not kill these bugs. They are easy to see on a leaf or stem and you just hook your hands around the spot and clamp your hand together and squish.
Thank goodness we found the first droopy stalk. Then checked and found other holes. Before they started to droop were injected peroxide and water. Then after posting on MassGrowers thread, it was suggested to squirt Neem in the holes. Then we used medical tape to cover the holes.
They would have destroyed 3 major colas on 3 different plants from the holes.
I found 2 more fat insects today on our Lavender Cannabis plants.
Beware of these PITA insects. They are invasive. Neem with soap doesn't do a thing to them. So I am squishing!
Here is picture of a hole on our Goldfinch plant. She is a hermi
seed from last year that is 10' tall.
20190918_152849.jpg

Neem oil read instructions close. Can be used all the way tell last week before harvest. Be Shure to cover all of plant. Top bottom all branches and limbs. Neem is a organic comes from Neem tree.:ganjamon::goodluck:

Thank you. I found one the other day on a hot pepper plant. I was spraying at the time. I blasted him. It took about 20 second of straight on spray to kill it. Was Neem and soap at a heavy concentration right on it. So at least I now know it will kill.

Beware of these PITA insects. They are invasive. Neem with soap doesn't do a thing to them. So I am squishing!
Here is picture of a hole on our Goldfinch plant.
Yep, they are invasive and it seems that most Stink Bugs are not native to North America. This is especially true for the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. It is just another critter that came here on a pallet of something brought in from overseas.

I went on a research binge and looked up more info on Stink Bugs. It seems that Neem oil sprays are the #1 go to for controlling these bugs. A normal does does not kill them right away but it will mess up their reproductive organs and it will slowly suffocate them unless they die from the damage that the Neem oils did to their digestive system. They do not like the way it tastes or smells either. Just spraying it on the leaves will eventually make them look elsewhere for food.

Did not find any info on the Stink Bugs chewing holes in any plants except on the leaf. What I kept coming across is that they do like to crawl into holes they find. They tend to do this when the growing season is ending. Big problem is when they crawl into a hole in a window frame or the siding on a house. They will winter over in the hole and come back out when spring arrives. Sometimes they find their way outside and sometimes they find their way into the house itself.

If they are crawling into those holes for the winter then all the stalks will have to be burned or sent off to a commercial composting place before winter.

Looking for ways to help control them next year? This is from an article on Stink Bugs that is in the web site for the SFGate (San Francisco Chronicle) in their homeguides area. I have found useful articles there before.

Even through stink bugs have a smelly defense against predators that would otherwise consume these seemingly defenseless insects, there are still a few natural predators that don’t seem to mind their foul odor. Parasitic wasps, parasitic flies and birds feast on the stink bugs, helping to naturally control these unwanted insects. Planting flowers that produce small blooms -- such as herbs in the dill family -- will help attract parasitic wasps and flies to the area. Placing bird feeders and birdhouses in your yard or garden will welcome birds to the area, which feed on various garden pests including stink bugs and leaf-eating caterpillars.

Looks like they are going to become a major agricultural pest at the rate they are going.

Enjoy the day.

Back
Top Bottom