Stink Bugs and Lady Bugs

BarnacleBill

Anyone else fighting the stink bug battle. I need some advice. New growing location and a total new set of obstacles. First off, lady bugs. On an average day there is a minimum of two or three running around but they don't make it a day, the stink bugs kill them and suck the juice out of them. Dead lady bugs everywhere. My pots are littered with their corpses. And every day I'm killing four to eight stink bugs. I only grow 100% organic so keep that in mind. This is a basement location and I believe these insects are wintering in this location. I've seen stink bugs sucking moisture from the leaves as well, they are omnivores and are attacking both the lady bugs and the plants. This has been on going for over a month and I see no end to the stink bug battle. Any ideas?

I use the hose from an upright vacuum to clean the windows where they gather, first empty the dust canister so it’s fairly clean.

Bonus points - Insect bodies & crustacean shells provide a source of chitin which is great for your ladies, grind them up in blender and use as top dress. It’s worth mentioning some critterz are attracted to yellow sticky cards while other species prefer blue sticky cards

about 10 - 15 years ago we had seasonal onslaught of Japanese lady bugs but they got ran out of town by the stink bugs.

idk, thinking out loud - maybe try pan of apple cider vinegar, beer, a piece of fruit or a veggie???

I use the hose from an upright vacuum to clean the windows where they gather, first empty the dust canister so it’s fairly clean.

Bonus points - Insect bodies & crustacean shells provide a source of chitin which is great for your ladies, grind them up in blender and use as top dress. It’s worth mentioning some critterz are attracted to yellow sticky cards while other species prefer blue sticky cards

about 10 - 15 years ago we had seasonal onslaught of Japanese lady bugs but they got ran out of town by the stink bugs.

idk, thinking out loud - maybe try pan of apple cider vinegar, beer, a piece of fruit or a veggie???
OMG, I crush them up too. Bugs, fish and vegetable scrap all get composted in my world. It all makes the soil sweeter...lol

I made a spray with been oil soap and water for gnats. And it worked but I can no longer spray because I am in flower with one of my plants.
Yeah, I'm on the third week of flower as well. Guess I will keep slogging along and crushing shield bugs until I find a solution. I heard stories that lavender might work? Anyone ever hear that? I'm at the point where I'm gonna gather all the spiders and let them feast. I'm not a bug fan but after watching one chowing down on a stink bug, suddenly we have found common ground...lol

I spray my outdoor all the way through harvest with Monterey garden insect spray (organic). I just wash the plants in a 5% h2O2 solution after harvest.
Tried a rinse like that after one of my grows. Wasn't pleased with my results. Found it change the texture slightly during the curing cycle. But thanks for your suggestion :Namaste:

I heard stories that lavender might work? Anyone ever hear that?
The lavender is listed as a plant that repels Stink Bugs.

Try a google search using:
plants that repel stink bugs

and then go through the list and one at a time ask if each of them attracts insets.

Example is that Marigolds will repel Stink Bugs but at the same time that plant will attract Mites.

Lavender is a perennial. Once planted and if it survives the first year it will start to spread. It tolerates dry soil and hot weather and a lot of sun. Gotta pick the right spot so planting in a shaded or wet area could mean it takes several years before the plants have grown thick enough to help.

Tried a rinse like that after one of my grows. Wasn't pleased with my results. Found it change the texture slightly during the curing cycle.
A slight change in texture might be minor as compared to the damage done by Stink Bugs.;)

Hi, i use a mixture of NEEM OIL and Black soap olive base. (must be olive base).Tablespoon of each into 2 litre/quart container of not too hot water so they dissolve and mix and then spray the plant all over bottom of leaves etc. In the evening.
Fights and repels most bugs and Neem oil is also nutrient.
You can use also Neem essential oil but i don’t know the mix ratio.
Good luck

So I would stop squishing them.... The smell attracts others....along with that you should wipe everything down you can, as when they find a suitable environment to live in they will release a hormone secretion that actually draws other to the location.

And for all natural stink bug deterrent garlic or mint extract in a spray bottle should work.

Screenshot_20220328-153545-827.png

I'd like to see a photo of said stink bugs.

Photos of stink bugs just to see what they look like are easy to find with a google search. The fascinating thing is that there are different varieties and/or color patterns.
Yeah, I regularly use Google Images to look for photos of lots of things. But I'd like to see the bugs on @BarnacleBill 's plants. I grew up in Cali. and what we called stink bugs were big black beetles.

So I would stop squishing them.... The smell attracts others....along with that you should wipe everything down you can, as when they find a suitable environment to live in they will release a hormone secretion that actually draws other to the location.

And for all natural stink bug deterrent garlic or mint extract in a spray bottle should work.

Screenshot_20220328-153545-827.png
Oh no.... Thanks for the heads up!

*shudders*
They communicate to find mates by means of low frequency oscillation
I'd put a bass bin down there playing a 32Hz loop, so they can't communicate and therefore can't breed
Any album by Napalm Death might be appropriate lol
Seriously though, good luck picking them out and jarring them

Back
Top Bottom