PART 3: More microscope shots of the start of bud rot

an infected stigma
ringo_infected_stigma1.jpg

the next 3 shots are an infected calyx
infected_calyx1.jpg

close-up
infected_calyx2.jpg

infected_calyx3.jpg

Well, I'm about to trim this stuff, but not looking forward to it. In general, this plant suffered from a degree of necrosis in the buds – it wasn't a lot (calyxes, small sugar leaves) – but enough for bud rot to get started. I attribute this mostly to maxing out the 5-gal pot, and my lack of drive to water with ferts (almost) every day.

So, I will be happy to salvage some fraction of these buds. I'm sure quite a bit will be OK, because the rot is only just starting to take hold and isn't everywhere. Then I'll do a quick-dry and try it out with my vape, and then get ready to send a sample to the lab – to see if it's anywhere near 20% CBD.

Here's the top cola... looking rot free:
ringo_top_cola1.jpg

ringo_top_cola2.jpg

BIG CONCLUSIONS

It's fitting that I'm ending this grow journal soon, because I feel like I need a RESET of the whole grow. I've got multiple problems to deal with, and too many plants, in my perpetual grow. My thoughts on improvements:
  • reduce overall number of vegging and flowering plants
  • stagger flowering so that only 4 plants in the flower house
  • stagger harvest so only harvesting 1 plant at a time; 3-week interval between (maybe 2-week later)
  • move plants from veg to flower much sooner
  • up pot clones much sooner (1 gal to final pot size: 15 gal smart pot, 6.5 gal plastic, or 5 gal SIP system)
  • have my soil tested; adjust ferts accordingly
  • decide on which phenos to grow through to flower, and maximize yield
  • phenos that I'm just "keeping around" – keep healthy moms; only clone to create a new mom; no flowering
  • experiment with a 5-gal DIY SIP design to maximize plant health and yield (up pot from 1 gal to SIP system)
  • MOLD & BUD ROT... done with it!!
    • clear all brush away from flower house
    • always brew up an aerated worm tea for foliar spray early in flowering
    • consider other microbial sprays (LAB, etc.)
    • keep searching for mold-resistant strains

All of this will likely require some upgrades to my work space in the veg house, which is long overdue anyway.

I'm especially interested in the SIP system (Sub Irrigated Planter), because in my situation I'll benefit from both runoff recycling (water conservation), and less time spent watering. Who knows, maybe one day I will automate the filling of the SIPs from an aerated fert tank!

Soooo... if all goes well I will one day launch the 2.0 version of this grow journal. 😅

Well, I'm about to trim this stuff, but not looking forward to it. In general, this plant suffered from a degree of necrosis in the buds – it wasn't a lot (calyxes, small sugar leaves) – but enough for bud rot to get started. I attribute this mostly to maxing out the 5-gal pot, and my lack of drive to water with ferts (almost) every day.

So, I will be happy to salvage some fraction of these buds. I'm sure quite a bit will be OK, because the rot is only just starting to take hold and isn't everywhere. Then I'll do a quick-dry and try it out with my vape, and then get ready to send a sample to the lab – to see if it's anywhere near 20% CBD.

ringo_top_cola1.jpg

ringo_top_cola2.jpg

BIG CONCLUSIONS

It's fitting that I'm ending this grow journal soon, because I feel like I need a RESET of the whole grow. I've got multiple problems to deal with, and too many plants, in my perpetual grow. My thoughts on improvements:
  • stagger harvest so only harvesting 1 plant at a time; 3-week interval between (maybe 2-week later)
  • up pot clones much sooner (1 gal to final pot size: 15 gal smart pot, 6.5 gal plastic, or 5 gal SIP system)
  • phenos that I'm just "keeping around" – keep healthy moms; only clone to create a new mom; no flowering
  • experiment with a 5-gal DIY SIP design to maximize plant health and yield (up pot from 1 gal to SIP system)

All of this will likely require some upgrades to my work space in the veg house, which is long overdue anyway.

I'm especially interested in the SIP system (Sub Irrigated Planter), because in my situation I'll benefit from both runoff recycling (water conservation), and less time spent watering. Who knows, maybe one day I will automate the filling of the SIPs from an aerated fert tank!

Soooo... if all goes well I will one day launch the 2.0 version of this grow journal. 😅
Dam mold fek.
Such a beautiful garden too.
Such good work.
Hope your ok Amigo.
I think I might start brewing up some today.
Mold would wipe me out.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Sounds like a good plan, cbdh. Looking forward to the new journal and glad to hear you'll give the sip a try.  Every plant I've grown that way has been better than my non-sips. You still need to have the rest of the grow dialed in (environment, soil, nutes, etc.) but it does making watering easier, faster, and consistently on point.

Sorry to hear of the rot. Tough to avoid in your climate, I imagine.

I was able to salvage trim what will amount to about 3/4 qt of dry buds. Buds drying now.

ringo_top_cola1.jpg

ringo_top_cola2.jpg

BIG CONCLUSIONS

Wouldn’t a Thai or Hawaiian landrace strain be good for your environment? I’m still new to this but it seems that they’re from your type of climate. IDK?

A lot of people here talk about White Widow and Wedding Cake x White Window. There are others. I personally am still in a discovery phase, and not one to just follow what others are doing, necessarily. I want to grow sativas as well as indicas, and both CBD and CBG plants.

I am growing a Maui Wowie pheno, and it is a lot more mold resistant than the Cookies Kush that I also grow. I'm actually probably going to do a test very soon – I have two identical clones of the Kush, ready to go into flower. I'm going to treat one of them with aerated compost tea foliar spray. The other, nothing.

I'm also likely going to be ordering some seed soon, and one strain I'm getting is called Hawaiian – an original 100% sativa from Hawaii.

For all who missed it, this just in

I was able to salvage trim what will amount to about 3/4 qt of dry buds. Buds drying now.
Hey Growmies,

I vaped the Ringo's Gift last night... two vape-fulls delivered a strong, clear-headed CBD effect. It feels like an indica body high with little to no psychoactive effects. Next step is to send some to the lab to find out % CBD and THC.

🌞Time to close down this grow journal.🌧️ Thanks everyone for checking it out and for your comments. I'll spin up a new journal one of these days.

In other news, I am getting ready to brew some aerated worm tea, to do a foliar anti-fungus test on two kush clones that I have ready to go into flower – I'll set up a thread for that test and link to @Azimuth's thread he set up to explore various fungus treatments.

I've also decided to build a SIP-type design that I came up with the other day, so will create a thread for that once I have some parts and start putting it together. You can read some preliminaries HERE.

happy growing! 🪴

Final update:
I vaped the Ringo's Gift last night... two vape-fulls delivered a strong, clear-headed CBD effect. It feels like an indica body high with little to no psychoactive effects. Next step is to send some to the lab to find out % CBD and THC.
Well, it was actually a low-THC indica effect!

The Ringo's Gift turned out to be a total dud – bad seed. The lab report came back and it has zero CBD and 14% THC. I tossed the clones. I'm back to the drawing board and will be ordering better seed soon.

happy growing! 🪴

This journal's closed... I'm working on this now:

Easy Low-Cost Cloning Technique

[ Check out the rest of my thread, Greenhouse Perpetual Grow in the Tropics ]

This method produces near 100% success. It's low-tech crazy easy if you follow the right steps. Total time, cuttings to ready-to-plant clones is 2 weeks.

Clones need warmth, humidity, and light. You should also use a good rooting hormone; I'm using Clonex gel. I use 4" pots for the cuttings, and my medium is high-quality coir with some perlite. I add a slight amount of nutes to the medium. I take cuttings of fresh not woody stem with my trimming scissors. I sterilize the scissors with a lighter prior to using. (There's more cutting details – let me know if you need more info.)

I water the medium and drain before placing cuttings in the pots. I also use a wooden pencil end or small stick, about 1/4" dia., to poke a hole in the center of the medium in each pot, 1" depth, where the cutting will go. I sterilize the pencil end with a lighter prior to use.

I use a DIY humidity dome made out of a clear plastic tote bin, inverted, with some 1/4" holes drilled in the ends of the bin to allow some air flow. The bin sits on the lid of the bin, with a 1x2" wooden board at each end to provide a gap for air flow into the bin. The cuttings in 3" pots are placed in rows on the lid.

I mist/spray the plants and whole interior of the bin w/ purified water, including the lid (as a reservoir), multiple times a day. Avoid letting the environment dry out. The bin is on a very flat table in my clone/veg greenhouse, protected from the sun because that would be too hot for the clones.

I have a 24w LED grow light directly above the bin, on a timer, so the clones get plenty of light all day long (I'm off grid, so conservative w/ power). I have a 2nd low-wattage bulb that provides night-interruption on another timer, to prevent flowering. Our ambient daytime temps are consistently 75-80, a bit more in summer. I cut back some on the mist/spray as the clones get toward 2 weeks in the bin. At around a week and a half, I also give the pots some purified water.

Toward the end, I'm looking for white roots coming out the bottom of the 3" pots, then they're ready for planting into a growing medium in 1 gal. pots. I do this planting toward the end of the day, when the sun is low, and then continue misting the clones for a few days.

My last batch was 100%, 9 out of 9... pics below.

Here's the dome, on a leveled table, protected from the sun above by cardboard. The light on the right is a SANSI 24w LED grow light, the one on the left and inexpensive 13w LED daylight spectrum bulb for night interruption lighting (prevent flowering). I put some ag lime around the dome to ward off slugs.

clone_bin2.jpg

Here's the 9 clones at around 2 weeks, 3 different genetics... all developed nice roots. There are 3 little seed sprout pots in there as well... perfect safe environment for them to develop.

clone_bin1.jpg

Here's the 9 clones after a couple weeks growing in 1 gal. pots. I use coco on the surface as a mulch, to hold moisture and protect the soil from the sun's heat. At this time of year, the sun is directly overhead.

finishes_clones1.jpg

happy growing! :ciao:

Back
Top Bottom