Quest for mold-resistant strains, Hawaii outdoor greenhouse grow

...now, what would be a good anti-fungal to try with DMSO on the HI-BISCUS mom? hmm... how about solution-grade Langbeinite... K, Mg, and S... 22% S. By the way, DMSO is also a surfactant, like soap.

Greetings Growmies,

Today I went all out with the HI-BISCUS mom and re-potted her. This was exploratory and experimental. I wouldn't normally do something like this for a sick plant in a 10 gal pot, but I wanted to learn something. I have a solid clone of this plant, so I went ahead, knowing she might not survive.

I did this for two main reasons... one being to inspect the roots and soil, and the other to attempt to treat any pathogen that might be present in the roots. (As I mentioned before, the stalk and stems of the plant showed signs of stem rot, which I know can originate in the root zone.) Prior to uprooting her, I noticed that the pot was unusually heavy, which made me think the roots were not absorbing water.

What I found was very unexpected. I thought I was going to find soggy soil, but in fact the soil was mostly dry. What?! But what was causing the weight? Answer: I had used some small rocks and gravel in the bottom of the pot, to help with drainage, because at the time of up-potting I had run out of perlite. So, I had forgotten about the rocks and gravel... fair enough. This had the effect of causing me to under-water the plant, because I was waiting for a lighter weight in order to follow the wet/dry cycle. Curiously, the plant never really showed signs of wilting. But it was definitely stressed.

It gets weirder. When I dumped the soil out, and was removing soil from the root ball, I noticed the soil was quite warm. I immediately thought this could be from microbial growth, which I assume would mean bacterial growth, not fungal growth. I didn't see any signs of fungus. The rocks and gravel I had used at the bottom of the pot coincidentally had a high-iron composition (which I thought nothing of when I added them). That made me think there was bacterial growth related to the abundance of iron. This could have been pathogenic bacteria.

To finish the re-potting operation, I rinsed and massaged the root ball as much as I could to remove the possibly-infected soil. I also washed the pot out with soap and water. Then I sprayed down the root ball and whole plant with 1/2 gal. of solution of Langbeinite powder (K02/Mg/S), rain water, and a little DMSO to help the K/Mg/S penetrate the plant tissues. I used 1 tbsp solution-grade Langbeinite and probably about 1-2 ml DMSO. (First time I've used DMSO on a plant, so this was very experimental. I have no idea if this was an appropriate amount. By the way, it's pharmaceutical grade DMSO.)

I then re-potted in the same 10 gal. pot, using a generous layer of perlite at the bottom, fresh soil that I mixed up about 3 weeks ago, and plenty of myco in the hole. I watered only the area right around the root ball, not the whole pot.

I googled a bit and found a couple interesting articles, one specifically about botrytis (bud rot) and root nodules (but not specifically cannabis), and another about cannabis and botrytis...

Pics from today...

HI-BISCUS clone mom prior to the operation. She's generally stunted. Leaves are somewhat pale and many are taco-ing (i.e. upturned leaf margins). Also some septoria leaf spot mold.
hibiscus1.jpg

The soil dumped out of the pot... mostly dry.
dirtpile.jpg

The root ball was abnormally small. I did lose some finer roots in the operation, but this is most of it, prior to washing.
rootball1.jpg

The root ball, washed. No sign of fungus anywhere. The root nodules are interesting, but I don't know what organisms could be creating the nodules – hopefully beneficial bacteria.
rootball2.jpg

Close-ups of the root nodules.
root_nodules1.jpg

Operation complete. Now we wait and see what happens.
hibiscus2.jpg

:ciao:

Greetings Growmies,

Here's an update on the HI-BISCUS mom re-potting experiment (above), plus some other pics.

I'm also doing an off-grid, low-power bud dryer project: HERE.

Experimental rescue of HI-BISCUS mom, 9 days since the operation. I decided to trim off the two main branches, leaving one main stalk. I've been plucking off any leaves that don't look right. So far, so good, although I'm not really expecting her to come back strong. New leaves are looking good.
hibiscus1.jpg

Humboldt Dream clone doing beautifully in 10 gal. in the veg house. I'm planning to transfer her to the flower house in 2 weeks. I'm now staggering the transfers by 2 weeks. I just moved a CBD#9 to flower today.
humboldt_dream1.jpg

Older clones (L-to-R): HI-BISCUS, Blueberry, CBD#1, and Sweet Critical CBD. HI-BISCUS is from the mom above, doing very well so far, and no distorted leaves.
clones1.jpg

Happy clones from the latest, successful batch: White Widow, CBG, Humboldt Dream, and CBD#9.
clones2.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD clone in a 10 gal. pot. Day 20 in flower.
sweet_critical.jpg

CBD#9 transferred to flower today. 10 gal. pot. She got real tall and bushy in veg, because I had to clone her first, and the first attempt at cloning failed. All good now, and the photo was taken after I gave her a good pruning, including removing about 9" from the very top.
CBD9.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Quick update... 10 days since the last one.

🪴 The Sweet Critical CBD is around day 30 in flower, still looking good, and buds are maturing. She's healthy, but not very robust... probably the result of vegging over-winter with low sunlight. Not a lot of resin production, but she's giving off a nice fragrance. At this point leaf mold is still only minor, and I've been plucking those off.

🪴 CBD#9 has been in flower for 10 days, but not really showing any buds yet. I'm a little worried, because where buds should be starting, there's a bunch of what look like maybe foxtails. The plant is still very healthy, and no leaf mold to speak of.

🪴 The rescued HI-BISCUS mom is still alive, growing slightly, leaves very small but looking healthy. I'm tempted to just chop, but waiting to see if anything happens.

🪴 The rest of the plants in veg are doing well. I gave the older clones some nutes today as they were looking a little in need of N. I'll be moving the Humboldt Dream to flower on Saturday.

Greetings Growmies,

Here's some pics from the flower house yesterday. We've been getting some solid sun which is really helping the girls. Getting ready now to pot some of the clones, with the select ones going into 10 gal pots for flower. The others will get re-cloned. I'm definitely going to flower-out the Humboldt Dream, Sweet Critical, probably the Seedsman Blueberry, and definitely the HI-BISCUS. The HI-BISCUS clone is now at the end of her stay in 1 gal and looking great. I saw one top leaf with some curl (like her mom), but the sun blasted today and the plant loved it. Curl gone. I'll probably also grow out a #18 CBD and a White Widow... love that Seedsman White Widow! Beautiful plant. This will be the first go with a WW clone.

Flower house yesterday. Foreground is Sweet Critical CBD clone in 10 gal, doing great although she's fairly delicate. Resin production ramped up and she's off-gassing some sweet smells, a bit like a vanilla cafè latte. Getting real close to harvest. No sign of bud rot. I did see some dead bracts. She's teetering on senescence, and I'm plucking off the sceptoria-infected leaves as they appear. The leaf mold is really not that bad this time. Left Rear - CBD #9. She's slow to form buds, but the colas could be pretty impressive. Right Rear - A really strong and healthy Humboldt Dream, transferred to flower yesterday.
flower_house1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD.
sweet_critical_CBD1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD. I trimmed away some lower larf. Upper colas are sweeeeeeeet.

sweet_critical_CBD_buds1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD. The branches are delicate and the colas are leaning over.
sweet_critical_CBD_cola1.jpg

Sweet Critical CBD trichomes. Clear, partly cloudy, and a slight chance of amber.
sweet_critical_CBD_trichomes1.jpg

Close-up of above.
sweet_critical_CBD_trichomes_closeup1.jpg

I got her lab-tested last time and she hit 15% CBD. This grow she got a bigger pot and better attention. I bet it's above 15%.
sweet_critical_CBD_trichomes_closeup3.jpg

EDIT: I think this was Day 38 in flower for the Sweet Critical. Less than 6 weeks!

Back
Top Bottom