Commercial mycorrhizal products: what species do they contain?

cbdhemp808

Hey growmies ~ so I started this thread because of an unknown pesky mold that was found on the soil surface of one of our members' pots.

The soil had Great White myco added to it. A debate commenced about whether or not this grey species (pictured below) is part of Great White's composition of mycorrhizal fungi species. I argued that it doesn't look like the white, interconnected mycelium of root-zone mycorrhizae, and that it looks like a mold classified in the order, Mucorales. Others argued that it must be from the Great White. [ here's the original thread: Mold ID Please ]

1660132342216.png

As I typically do, I like to break things down...

So, which one of the listed fungi in Great White could be this grey, long-filament fungus?

Here are the species in Great White:

Endomycorrhiza
Glomus aggregatum <-- outdated name; correct name is Rhizophagus aggregatum
Glomus intraradices <-- outdated name; correct name is Rhizophagus intraradices
Glomus mosseae
Glomus etunicatum
Glomus clarum
Glomus monosporum
Paraglomus brazilianum
Glomus deserticola
Gigaspora margarita
Ectomycorrhiza*
Pisolithus tinctorious
Rhizopogon luteolus
Rhizopogon fulvigleba
Rhizopogon villosullus
Rhizopogon amylopogon
Scleroderma citrinum
Scleroderma cepa
* By the way, these species don't help cannabis... "...you can completely rule out all ectomycorrhizae, as these are only relevant to woody plants (trees and bushes), but won’t inoculate cannabis at all." [source: DYNOMYCO]

Compared to other commercial myco products:

Mykos: 1 species, Rhizophagus intraradices
DYNOMYCO: 2 species, Glomus intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus mosseae
Big Foot: 1 species, Glomus intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices)
Trifecta: 1 species, Rhizophagus irregularis
Plantonix: 5 species, Rhizophagus irregularis, Rhizophagus aggregatus, Rhizophagus proliferum, Rhizophagus clarus, Claroideoglomus etunicatum
RootWise: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Aggregatum (Rhizophagus aggregatum), Glomus Etunicatum
Down To Earth: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Aggregatum (Rhizophagus aggregatum), Glomus Etunicatum
GreenGro: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus deserticola, Glomus etunicatem, Glomus clarum
Roots Organics: 4 species, Funneliformis mosseae, Rhizophagus aggregatum, Rhizophagus intraradices, Septoglomus deserticola

Conslusions:

Great White, with 16 species... I mean, who the heck could possibly identify which one produced the filaments in the OP's photo? I'll tell you this, I bet it's not Rhizophagus irregularis or Rhizophagus intraradices. Any soil mycologists out there?

Out of the 9 top myco products I listed, 7 of them contain Rhizophagus intraradices. All of them contain either Rhizophagus intraradices or Rhizophagus irregularis.

I'm guessing these are the leading 4 products: Mykos, DYNOMYCO, Big Foot, and Trifecta...

Three of these contain 1 species (either Rhizophagus intraradices or Rhizophagus irregularis) and one has 2 species (Rhizophagus intraradices and Glomus mosseae). From this I can conclude that these products are all appropriate for cannabis, and I'm guessing cannabis growers are the #1 customers of small-quantity, retail myco products. So I'm going to take an educated guess that Rhizophagus intraradices and Rhizophagus irregularis are likely *the best* mycos for cannabis, and you really don't need any other ones. (Maybe DYNOMYCO found out that Rhizophagus intraradices and Glomus mosseae coexist well in the root zone of cannabis.)

Now, regarding the other 5 out of the 9 I listed: Plantonix, RootWise, Down to Earth, GreenGo, and Roots Organics...

I think these are all products trying to break into the top 4 market, more or less, and as such they are marketing not 1 or 2, but 4 or 5 myco species in their products. Of the 5 products, 4 of them have 4 species, and one has 5. Four out of five of these products all contain Rhizophagus intraradices, while one of them contains Rhizophagus irregularis. At first glance, one might think that the more species the better, for your cannabis plants. But I think the reason these products contain more species is partly a marketing strategy, and partly because they are not designed specifically for cannabis. Some of the other species – especially the ectomycorrhiza – are not intended for cannabis. What do you think?

happy growing! 🪴

Hey growmies ~ so I started this thread because of an unknown pesky mold that was found on the soil surface of one of our members' pots.

The soil had Great White myco added to it. A debate commenced about whether or not this grey species (pictured below) is part of Great White's composition of mycorrhizal fungi species. I argued that it doesn't look like the white, interconnected mycelium of root-zone mycorrhizae, and that it looks like a mold classified in the order, Mucorales. Others argued that it must be from the Great White. [ here's the original thread: Mold ID Please ]

1660132342216.png

So, which one of the listed fungi in Great White could be this grey, long-filament fungus?

Endomycorrhiza
Glomus mosseae
Glomus etunicatum
Glomus clarum
Glomus monosporum
Paraglomus brazilianum
Glomus deserticola
Gigaspora margarita
Ectomycorrhiza*
Pisolithus tinctorious
Rhizopogon luteolus
Rhizopogon fulvigleba
Rhizopogon villosullus
Rhizopogon amylopogon
Scleroderma citrinum
Scleroderma cepa
* By the way, these species don't help cannabis... "...you can completely rule out all ectomycorrhizae, as these are only relevant to woody plants (trees and bushes), but won’t inoculate cannabis at all." [ source: DYNOMYCO ]

DYNOMYCO: 2 species, Glomus intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus mosseae
Plantonix: 5 species, Rhizophagus irregularis, Rhizophagus aggregatus, Rhizophagus proliferum, Rhizophagus clarus, Claroideoglomus etunicatum
RootWise: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Aggregatum (Rhizophagus aggregatum), Glomus Etunicatum
Down To Earth: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus Mosseae, Glomus Aggregatum (Rhizophagus aggregatum), Glomus Etunicatum
GreenGro: 4 species, Glomus Intraradices (Rhizophagus intraradices), Glomus deserticola, Glomus etunicatem, Glomus clarum
Roots Organics: 4 species, Funneliformis mosseae, Rhizophagus aggregatum, Rhizophagus intraradices, Septoglomus deserticola

Conslusions:

Great White, with 16 species... I mean, who the heck could possibly identify which one produced the filaments in the OP's photo? I'll tell you this, I bet it's not Rhizophagus irregularis or Rhizophagus intraradices. Any soil mycologists out there?

Out of the 9 top myco products I listed, 7 of them contain Rhizophagus intraradices. All of them contain either Rhizophagus intraradices or Rhizophagus irregularis.

I'm guessing these are the leading 4 products: Mykos, DYNOMYCO, Big Foot, and Trifecta...

Three of these contain 1 species (either Rhizophagus intraradices or Rhizophagus irregularis) and one has 2 species (Rhizophagus intraradices and Glomus mosseae). From this I can conclude that these products are all appropriate for cannabis, and I'm guessing cannabis growers are the #1 customers of small-quantity, retail myco products. So I'm going to take an educated guess that Rhizophagus intraradices and Rhizophagus irregularis are likely *the best* mycos for cannabis, and you really don't need any other ones. (Maybe DYNOMYCO found out that Rhizophagus intraradices and Glomus mosseae coexist well in the root zone of cannabis.)

Now, regarding the other 5 out of the 9 I listed: Plantonix, RootWise, Down to Earth, GreenGo, and Roots Organics...

I think these are all products trying to break into the top 4 market, more or less, and as such they are marketing not 1 or 2, but 4 or 5 myco species in their products. Of the 5 products, 4 of them have 4 species, and one has 5. Four out of five of these products all contain Rhizophagus intraradices, while one of them contains Rhizophagus irregularis. At first glance, one might think that the more species the better, for your cannabis plants. But I think the reason these products contain more species is partly a marketing strategy, and partly because they are not designed specifically for cannabis. Some of the other species – especially the ectomycorrhiza – are not intended for cannabis. What do you think?

happy growing! 🪴
Great info my friend, thank you so much for doing that.
I'm surprised at the difference, especially the Great White.
Hope your having a great day. :thumb:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

1660132342216.png

Endomycorrhiza
Glomus mosseae
Glomus etunicatum
Glomus clarum
Glomus monosporum
Paraglomus brazilianum
Glomus deserticola
Gigaspora margarita
Ectomycorrhiza*
Pisolithus tinctorious
Rhizopogon luteolus
Rhizopogon fulvigleba
Rhizopogon villosullus
Rhizopogon amylopogon
Scleroderma citrinum
Scleroderma cepa
* By the way, these species don't help cannabis... "...you can completely rule out all ectomycorrhizae, as these are only relevant to woody plants (trees and bushes), but won’t inoculate cannabis at all." [source: DYNOMYCO]

Conslusions:

happy growing! 🪴
Thanks for the in-depth post. I like doing the deep dive.

I use a locally produced product that is sold internationally. Its from a well known name for agricultural products but is not specifically marketed for cannabis. Here is what is listed as included. Pasted from website.

Mycorrhizal fungi included:
Glomus 130 CFU/g
Funneliformis 260 CFU/g
Rhizophagus 130 CFU/g
Claroideoglomus 130 CFU/g

Back
Top Bottom