Mold ID Please

1337sp33d

Hi, all I thought I steamed my soil before adding great white, is this good stuff or bad stuff?
IE: mycorrhizae or Fusarium ?

vlcsnap-2022-07-29-21h52m29s331.png

Nope it’s not mold & yep that’s great, it’s a sign mycos / microbes have been activated. Certain organic fertilizer amendments like Bio-Live 5-4-2 cause same effect a day or two after being watered in… I’ve seen a few cases where the white fuzz webbed up my seedlings but did not have any negative impact on plants.

Looks good / no worries!

Nope it’s not mold & yep that’s great, it’s a sign mycos / microbes have been activated. Certain organic fertilizer amendments like Bio-Live 5-4-2 cause same effect a day or two after being watered in… I’ve seen a few cases where the white fuzz webbed up my seedlings but did not have any negative impact on plants.

Looks good / no worries!
Hi, thanks for the info. It was about 2 to 3 days after adding great white.

Fusarium is a virus that infects the plant, manifests as orange/yellow spots on leaves
That is organic mould and almost certainly a good thing
Just watch out for fungus gnats, which will thrive in no time at all
Thanks for the info. I put a humidity dome on it which brings me to another question. Domes for seeds or not?

Fusarium is a virus that infects the plant, manifests as orange/yellow spots on leaves
That is organic mould and almost certainly a good thing
Just watch out for fungus gnats, which will thrive in no time at all
Nah, fusarium is a fungus. But you're onto something there... "Many species of Fusarium also act as hosts for mycoviruses."

I don't think mold on the surface like that is a good thing. mycorrhizae belong in the root zone, and I think typically appear as a white mycelium. So whatever that is on the soil surface, I'd be inclined to spray it with a peroxide solution.

happy growing! 🪴

That is organic mould

ALL mold is "organic," because it is (or was) alive. It's also organic, because it contains carbon covalent bonds.

I don't think mold on the surface like that is a good thing. mycorrhizae belong in the root zone
Yep, they should be in the root zone but the op used a dome..so I'd expect a little to maybe appear on the surface.
I'd be inclined to spray it with a peroxide solution.
I wouldn't. Just taking the dome off and reducing humidity will control it.

Yep, they should be in the root zone but the op used a dome..so I'd expect a little to maybe appear on the surface.

I wouldn't. Just taking the dome off and reducing humidity will control it.
So you think it's from the Great White myco? To me it looks like the mold that grows on cat poop. Why take a risk that a bad mold would spore out? I mean, do mycos even bloom like that in air? They are root zone species.

Yeah myco surfaces...it did so on my strawberry pots last year...when i took them out of the pots the same 'mold' was present all through the root zone.
It's what you pay money for.

Like I said, it will most probably die off from the surface once humidity is lowered.

Hmm. I use Mykos all the time and it never surfaces (yes, I pay money for it). The mycorrhizae in Mykos doesn't look like what's in this photo above. To my knowledge, Mykos produces a white mycelium looking fungus in the roots... mfg. calls it a "sponge-like" mass... doesn't look like the OP's surface fungus. In fact, it may be that mycorrhizae only grow on roots – i.e. in close association with the roots. Soil fungi that's not growing on roots is typically associated with decomposing material... these are called saprophytic fungi.

Hmm. I use Mykos all the time and it never surfaces (yes, I pay money for it). The mycorrhizae in Mykos doesn't look like what's in this photo above. To my knowledge, Mykos produces a white mycelium looking fungus in the roots... mfg. calls it a "sponge-like" mass... doesn't look like the OP's surface fungus. In fact, it may be that mycorrhizae only grow on roots – i.e. in close association with the roots. Soil fungi that's not growing on roots is typically associated with decomposing material... these are called saprophytic fungi.
I believe the humidity dome is the outlier here...it changes the environment to allow the difference.
Without that...I agree with what you have said.

There's 16 different fungi and 14 different bacteria species in great white myco. Some of these are 'good' and some are considered 'bad'.
My understanding is that some of the 'bad' are food for the 'good'..symbiotic. Usually the 'good' out number the 'bad'. You'd have to know how each behaved to understand the whole. The desired 'sponge' system may be the main goal, but there will be lots of other activity of different species.
Some growers of old that i communicated with wouldn't use great white for this reason. ' To much bad bacteria fighting with the good'

the key here is the white whispy webbing…. fusarium attacks the plant internally and you get white mold at the nodes externally. Pretty confident you’ve got active micro life in the soil from the great white with no harm to the plant

Please try this to satisfy your own curiosity and to help us learn more…..

steam 2 more cups of soil…. then label your cups…. one cup is plain soil other cup add Great White. Water them in and place then in the tent.

let’s see what you get in a few days

nice test idea! 👍

the key here is the white whispy webbing…. fusarium attacks the plant internally and you get white mold at the nodes externally. Pretty confident you’ve got active micro life in the soil from the great white with no harm to the plant
The main fungi that attack cannabis are: botrytis, leaf septoria, powdery mildew, fusarium, verticillium, pythium, and rhizoctonia. [source: Rosenthal, 2010] These cause various types of damage... root rot, stem rot, bud rot, leaf mold.

I personally don't know what each of these looks like if found on the soil surface, or even if they can appear on the surface of the soil.

My point is that myco fungi are found in the root zone – that's what makes them myco. Whatever this is on the surface, we don't know if it's something that drifted in on the air currents, or not. Or if it was in the water. We don't know if it's one of the ones I listed above (botrytis, ...). There could be other fungi that are bad for cannabis plants.

Back
Top Bottom