Matamata hemp farmer leaves crop to rot in field

T

The420Guy

A Matamata farmer trialling legal hemp has let his first crop rot in the field, saying it wasn't worth the effort.

The man, who wants to remain anonymous because he doesn't want his father to know about the crop, said he has gone back to maize because it attracted less attention.

"I found the covert nature of hemp farming a nuisance.

"It looks a lot like marijuana. It was only a matter of time before people found out about it.

"I ended up leaving the crop to rot in the field," he said. "It wasn't worth my while sending it all the way to Nelson to have it processed. I decided it wasn't for me."

The Government last year issued 15 licences to grow industrial hemp, used for fabric and rope.

It is the same plant species, cannabis sativa, as the drug crop, but the level of the narcotic tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) is less than 0.35 per cent of the plant's dry weight and between 10 and 20 times less than regular cannabis.

The Waikato crop, along with plantations near Bulls, Palmerston North and Hawke's Bay, was among the first legal crops of cannabis since cultivation was declared illegal in 1933.

The field trial sites were kept secret by the Health Ministry which was concerned that people would try to harvest the plants to sell as marijuana.

The Matamata farmer said he had no unwanted visitors to his property. He would consider growing hemp again when it became more widely acceptable. "It has great environmentally friendly properties," he said.

Copyright © 2002, Waikato Times. All rights reserved.

Back
Top Bottom