Mayor Wants Pot Legalized

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Madison Wisconsin: Speaking on the radio station Pulse Madison 1670 AM Friday, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz said if he was granted the option, he would make marijuana legal.

In a phone interview with radio show “Sly in the Morning,” Cieslewicz was asked about a pending issue concerning Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4.

Madison police officer Carrie Hemming found Verveer and Zander’s owner Mohamed Barkatallah sitting in the dimly lit top level of Barkatallah’s bar last month where she allegedly smelled marijuana. She left the bar without saying a word to Verveer.

“Trying to make the case, I basically said, ‘Look, if it were up to me, marijuana would not be illegal, but it’s not up to me,’” Cieslewicz said.

According to Cieslewicz, wanting to legalize marijuana is not a policy proposal from his office.

To become legal, the issue would need to be handled on a state level, Cieslewicz said. He added the city has to focus its attention on more important issues.

Rachel Strauch-Nelson, spokesperson for Cieslewicz, said legalizing marijuana is not a pending decision in the city. If the mayor had more say about the issue, he would probably be pursuing the matter, she added.

“I think it’s some sort of statement of his opinion,” Strauch-Nelson said.

Regarding the Verveer incident, Cieslewicz said the issue has been covered thoroughly, and it is now in the past.

Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18, a member of the Alcohol License Review Committee, said though he never used marijuana, he has no moral issue with the drug and no issue with people consuming it in their own proximity.

If marijuana were to be legalized, Schumacher said he would want the conditions placed on alcohol — such as no use while driving or operating heavy machinery — placed on marijuana use.

“If [marijuana] doesn’t lead to heavier drug use and it doesn’t lead to unacceptable behavior in public, it certainly helps save resources and [not] criminalize behavior,” he added. “I don’t think it really harms anybody.”

Cieslewicz agreed, saying there is not much evidence marijuana is harmful.

However, Nancy Mistele, challenger in the race for Dane County Executive said she is confused why Cieslewicz would want to legalize marijuana.

According to Mistele, Cieslewicz and all members of the City Council maybe should be subject to drug testing, adding it is the responsibility of elected officials to uphold the law.

In the 2007-08 Legislature, a bill to legalize medical marijuana in Wisconsin was devised and spoken about in an information hearing. However, the bill was not brought to a vote in either house and has yet to be reintroduced.

“[Marijuana] is certainly widely used in this country for quite a while, and I don’t see the point in continuing to make it illegal,” Cieslewicz said.

Verveer declined to comment on the issue.

Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk and Madison Police Chief Noble Wray could not be reached for comment.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Badger Herald
Author: Heather Burian
Copyright: 2009 The Badger Herald, Inc.
Contact: The Badger Herald — The University of Wisconsin-Madison's premier independent student newspaper

Back
Top Bottom