Medical Cannabis Patients To Protest In Olympia Against New Amendment In Bill

Truth Seeker

People who use cannabis as medicine from across the state of Washington will gather in Olympia at the Capitol Campus Wednesday, June 19 as a protest.

Medical cannabis patients are angry about an amendment they say was "quietly slipped into" the state Senate and House budget bills that would put the control of their medical fate in the hands of the state Liquor Control Board -- an amendment that could "fundamentally change" every section of the state's current medical cannabis laws, according to Steve Sarich, Executive Director of the Cannabis Action Coalition.

In a statement he says the regulations would include limits on age, the amount of medication a patient could have, which conditions would qualify, where they could get their medication and who could actually grow it.

"The Liquor Control Board has already stated publicly that they believe that the tax-free status of cannabis as a medication would be a 'threat' to the LCB's projected revenue stream from recreational marijuana sales. Current state law does not tax medications that require a health care provider's signature. This law could single out cannabis as the only medication in the state targeted for taxation," said a release about the protest.

Ken Martin, a medical cannabis patient from Spokane said, "I have a brain tumor and they're going to decide how much medicine I need and then they're going to tax it. I don't pay tax on any of my other medications. This is nothing more than greed on the part of the LCB and the state legislature."

John Novak, board members of the Cannabis Defense Coalition said, "Rick Garza, the director of the WSLCB, testified at a House hearing that over "90% of the medical cannabis patients are fakers and have no qualifying medical condition". Patients were furious when they read his totally unfounded statement. Do we really want the state agency that is denigrating patients to be put in charge of regulating patient's medication?"

The coalition points out that no other medication is regulated and controlled by the Liquor Control Board.

The protest takes place at 12:30 pm Wednesday at the Sundial at the State Capitol Campus in Olympia.

Cannabis_Leaf25.jpg

News Hawk- Truth Seeker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: skyvalleychronicle.com
Author: skyvalleychronicle.com
Website: MEDICAL CANNABIS PATIENTS TO PROTEST IN OLYMPIA AGAINST NEW AMENDMENT IN BILL | BREAKING NEWS | Sky Valley Chronicle Washington State News

Back
Top Bottom