Medical Marijuana Activist Pleads Guilty, But Says She's No Criminal

Truth Seeker

Colleen Begley doesn't think of herself as a drug dealer or a government informant.

But through her own admissions this week, including the plea deal she entered into the day her marijuana distribution trial was to begin, the longtime medical marijuana activist knows she could be tagged as both.

"It's really weird to me. I don't think if you asked people to point out the criminal that too many would be pointing at me," Begley said Thursday after leaving a Long Branch head shop.

Two days earlier, Begley, 32, of Moorestown, pleaded guilty before Superior Court Judge Charles Delehey to fleeing from police with more than 2 pounds of high-grade marijuana in her car on Feb. 11, 2011.

Police alleged that Begley, a college student who readily admits she regularly distributes pot to medical patients, had the drug sent from California to a co-defendant's former home in Burlington Township.

She acknowledged that she "panicked" and refused to stop when an unmarked police vehicle pursued her Jeep as she left the Pinewald Lane residence with the package. She lost control of the vehicle, crashing into a Route 130 auto-body shop in Burlington City.

Co-defendants John Claudy, now of Bellmawr, and Russell Forchion of Clementon also pleaded guilty.

Claudy admitted to having less than 50 grams in his Burlington Township home. Forchion, the older brother of marijuana activist Ed "NJWeedman" Forchion, pleaded guilty to conspiracy with the intent to distribute the marijuana.

Forchion admitted that he was going to distribute the drug to medical marijuana patients with Begley. Police said he acted as Begley's lookout on the day she picked up the package.

But unlike Begley, he and Claudy do not face state prison time. Both are expected to be given probationary terms.

Begley faces five to 10 years in prison, but said after her court hearing Tuesday that prosecutors have agreed to whittle the years away if she cooperates with authorities in other investigations.

Begley won't be sentenced until June. She said this is so prosecutors can weigh her cooperation and determine a recommended sentence.

Delehey, in an unusual move, closed Begley's hearing to the public. Burlington County Assistant Prosecutor Michael Luciano had no comment on the conditions of her plea, but did confirm that she faces up to 10 years in prison.

"I totally belong to the state at this point," Begley said after the hearing. "It was plea or we're going to trial. They had the jury pool ready to go, and I have never fully gone over my discovery and didn't have my witnesses ready."

Begley was told of the trial date weeks ago, but assumed it would be adjourned after meetings with attorneys, she said. She said that she doesn't know exactly how she will have to cooperate with the police, but that she figures this all has to do with her association with the infamous NJWeedman.

Ed Forchion, a Pemberton Township native who runs a small medical marijuana dispensary in California, was acquitted in his own marijuana distribution case earlier this year, after a jury found that a pound of pot he had in his vehicle during a Mount Holly traffic stop in 2010 was not for distribution. He argued that it was for his own medicinal use, as he is a licensed user from California.

"I guess they want me to get Ed to send me flowers," Begley said. "I'm more inclined to help with actual crime that is detrimental to society."

NJWeedman said he was surprised that Begley, his brother and Claudy pleaded guilty and had hoped they would have put their cases before juries. He was not surprised by the alleged cooperation deal.

"I've always known the target of the Prosecutor's Office in this case was me," he said.

Begley's plea deal since has soured her friendship with Ed Forchion; the two exchanged barbs on social media this week.

While Begley said she hopes to avoid prison, she will not stop her activism or her work with medical marijuana patients.

She said she went from being a high school pothead "with the best hookup" to providing the drug for medical patients in 2007 after learning of its benefits.

Last week, New Jersey opened its first medical marijuana dispensary in Montclair, Essex County. Only state-licensed users are eligible to buy from the dispensary. The possession and distribution of marijuana are still otherwise illegal.

When asked if she still distributes marijuana despite her legal troubles, which include this case, one in Moorestown, one in Collingswood, and another in Cherry Hill for which she is on probation, Begley responded: "Oh yeah, notoriously."

"I find no greater joy than giving weed to sick people," she said. "It improves their quality of life. I especially like helping those who can't afford it. The ones that need it the most seem to have the hardest time getting it."

She also said she is consulting with a private attorney about her options, including withdrawing her plea.

"It really is the worst deal," said Begley, who will participate in a "smoke-out" at the Liberty Bell in Philadelphia on Saturday. "But I feel at the end of this whole mess, justice will play out."

MMJ_Activist_Colleen_Begley.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: phillyburbs.com
Author: Danielle Camilli
Website: Medical marijuana activist pleads guilty, but says she's no criminal - phillyburbs.com: Burlington County Times: law_crime, edward forchion, colleen begley, russell forchion, moorestown

Back
Top Bottom