Medical Marijuana Bill To Be Proposed Again In Nebraska Legislature

Katelyn Baker

After raising a heated debate in the Nebraska legislature in its past two sessions, medical marijuana will again be a point of interest in the Capitol when Sen. Anna Wishart of Lincoln proposes a bill to legalize medical marijuana in the state of Nebraska.

This bill will be similar to previous bills that have been introduced by Sen. Tommy Garrett in the past two years, but have not been passed. Garrett did not win his bid for reelection this past November.

Last year, the bill was killed after lawmakers voted to end a filibuster 30-49.

This year, however, there are 17 new senators and a public opinion that some senators think is largely in favor of passing a law to legalize medical marijuana.

"Overall, I think the public supports the proposal," Sen. Adam Morfeld of Lincoln said. "I think if medical marijuana went on the ballot, it would likely pass in Nebraska."

The legislature is supposed to vote how they feel their district is leaning, so it's important for students to share their views with their representative, he said. Morfeld represents those who live on campus at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln or in northeast Lincoln, and plans on supporting the bill.

"A lot of students are outside of Lincoln; their legislator needs to hear from them and their opinion on the issue," Morfeld said. "Particularly if students have certain medical conditions that would be aided by this type of treatment, they should definitely get in touch and share their personal story."

Students in favor of the legalization of marijuana have many ideas of the positive impacts it would have on the economy and their lifestyles.

"To me, it is pretty obvious why an economist or economic student should be interested in medical marijuana," sophomore economics, political science and sociology triple-major Allison Black said. "Just because of the cost versus benefit idea."

Black is the vice president of the Economics Club on campus. Last semester, the club hosted a debate at a meeting to allow students to gain a fuller grasp of what legalizing marijuana would entail.

"I think if at any time this should be important, it would be about now," Black said. "I think a big interest for people is the financial impact it would have."

Many students, like Black, feel the legalization of medical marijuana would allow for a significant increase of tax dollars, which could go to benefit public schools or help with the state deficit.

Morfeld also argues that medical marijuana would provide relief from "chronic pain and seizures."

While the proposal has caused passionate arguments on both sides of the issue for the betterment of the Nebraskan public as a whole, Black said she believes the state may be moving in a more accepting direction.

"Opinions on medical marijuana have been changing quickly," Black said. "I think that the public is going quicker to accept it."

She said part of that comes from the ubiquity of the drug in the state, as well as others in the country.

"Either fortunately or unfortunately, marijuana is already in Nebraska," Black said.

Despite the rising popularity of supporting the legalization of marijuana, Black said it isn't quite clear exactly when Nebraska will legalize the plant.

"Many of the legal issues will likely take decades to work out," Black said. "But the market is growing quickly, and the public would probably react immediately."

canna61.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Bill To Be Proposed Again In Nebraska Legislature
Author: Christa Rahl
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom