Medical Marijuana Card Holder Sentenced For Having Too Many Plants

A Billings man who holds a medical marijuana card was given a deferred sentence Thursday after admitting had had too many pot plants.

James Lee Caruso, 37, appeared before District Judge Susan Watters after pleading guilty to a felony charge of criminal production or manufacture of dangerous drugs. Caruso was charged in June after police officers found 17 marijuana plants in his garage.

Deputy County Attorney Ingrid Rosenquist said a plea agreement called for the state to recommend a 12-month deferred sentence if he paid a $750 fine at or before his sentencing hearing. If he had not paid the fine, the agreement called for a recommendation of an 18-month deferred sentence, the prosecutor said.

Deputy Public Defender Michael Shin told the judge that Caruso does not have the $750 to pay the fine, but asked the judge to impose the 12-month deferred sentence, Caruso has "virtually" no criminal history, Shin said, and made the call to police that resulted in the charge against him.

Police said they found the marijuana plants in Caruso's garage. State law allows a person with a medical marijuana card to have no more than six plants.

Caruso was aware of the six-plant limit, his defense attorney said. But Shin told the judge that the marijuana plants were "all seedlings, very small plants." Caruso planned to destroy or give away the plants once he determined the gender, Shin said.

Caruso declined to make a statement before he was sentenced.

Watters said the 12-month deferred sentence was appropriate in the case.

The charge stemmed from an incident in October 2008. Caruso called 911 and said he believed he had smoked PCP, a hallucinogenic drug. Caruso also told a dispatcher he was armed with a pistol.

An officer found Caruso on the front porch of a neighbor's house, crying and "very paranoid," according to court records. The plants were found during a subsequent search of Caruso's property.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Billings Gazette
Author: GREG TUTTLE
Copyright: 2009, The Billings Gazette
Website: Medical Marijuana Card Holder Sentenced For Having Too Many Plants

The Government loves stories like this,,Think "Reefer Madness"...:roorrip:

I think there is a real danger there. Even if this guy had smoked some really good weed, I wouldn't want a kid to get into it. Some people who get freaked out react differently.

When I was young, i saw a similar reaction with a buddy of mine. At the time I laughed it off because I was pretty stoned myself but this really opened up a panel with this kid. Serious psychosis, like permanent. I got so busted getting high with this kid and I honestly started to believed that i really fucked him up.

But I figured that this stuff was going to come out any way some time later in his life. Well, thats what I told myself so I wouldn't carry all that guilt around with me.

As much as we minimize the dangers as nil with this plant I think it is acting irresponsible for many people involved to simply ignore any possible reactions people might encounter after use.

There are some people who really shouldn't smoke or drink for that matter.

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom