Medical Marijuana Debate Heating Up

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
GREEN BAY - Jackie Botsford has never smoked marijuana, but she's willing to give it a try if it becomes legal for medical purposes. That's because the 62-year-old is suffering from terminal lung cancer.

"Oh yes, because I know how lousy I can feel. I know how nauseated I can get ... Absolutely no appetite," said Botsford, of Bellevue.

Medical marijuana use is already legal in 13 states. Some are wondering if Wisconsin will be next state to make it legal. That's because, on Wednesday, Governor Jim Doyle said he supports doing so.

Doyle said he would support the change if a law can be written that restricts its use to people who have a doctor's prescription.

"I sincerely feel that marijuana does have some properties that can help cancer patients," said Dr. Umang Gautum, an oncologist at Aurora BayCare Medical Center.

Gautam said chemotherapy weakens cancer patients to the point that they often lose their appetite.

"This is a significant problem especially when you have to realize nutrition is an extremely important part of cancer care," said Gautam.

Gautam said cancer patients can benefit from marijuana use because the drug stimulates their appetite and reduces nausea.

Although Gautam and many others believe that if it is legalized, there need to be strict guidelines to make sure the law isn't abused.

There is one proposal circulating the state capitol right now, although no legislation has been introduced yet. FOX 11 spoke with lawmakers on both sides of the aisle who said legalizing medical marijuana use it’s not a priority at the moment.

Law enforcement officials say they're worried that legalizing medical marijuana could make it more difficult to enforce current drug laws.

Some believe it could also lead to more experimentation among kids.

"It does, on the other side, create some significant issues for law enforcement -- not through just the awareness and education but for those who may be able to be in control of the marijuana," said Kurt Heuer, the chief of the Wisconsin Rapids Police Department.

While marijuana-like medicines are already available to cancer patients, the Botsfords believe the real stuff would be cheaper and more effective.

"If this can ease her suffering and make her feel better, I think this should be legal for medical use," said Kert Botsford, Jackie's husband.

But not everyone is so sure legal marijuana is what's best for everyone.

NewsHawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: fox11online.com
Author: Lou Hillman
Copyright: 2009 The Associated Press

Back
Top Bottom