Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up In Florida

Robert Celt

Will Florida join the list of states that have legalized medical marijuana?

It's very possible considering this week's announcement that medical marijuana will be on the November ballot in Florida.

For some medical marijuana would be a blessing.

Others see it as a disaster.

Ava Pence of Palm Beach Gardens got the birthday wish she wanted this week--medical marijuana on the November ballot. She learned on her birthday that enough signatures were obtained to place it on the ballot and voters will get to decide.

"I think it shouldn't be a controversy," said Pence. "I think if doctors who've read the research and are trained to make decisions and are recommending this medication for their patients, then the legislature should get out of the way."

Her daughter Meredith, 9, suffers from a rare form of epilepsy.

The 3rd grader takes several drugs to help reduce seizures.

"I don't want seizures to happen, but they happen a lot," Meredith said.

However critics say they've seen an increase in truancy, impaired driving, workplace accidents, and more teens experimenting with marijuana in states that've already taken that step.

"Anytime you introduce something like this, if it does in fact go through there will be consequences. We know there will be because we've seen it in just about every other state that it's passed," said Jeff Kadel, executive director of the PBC Substance Awareness Coalition.

Kadel says if medical marijuana is approved, it won't be long before Florida also legalizes recreational marijuana.

Meanwhile, Ava just hopes it passes, for her daughter's sake.

"That's all we want is an opportunity, we want the opportunity to try to do what's best for our children," Pence said.

Opponents vow to use the next 10 months to convince Floridians to vote against it.

florida-marijuana-vote.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up In Florida
Author: Al Pefley
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom