Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up In Greenfield, CA

Robert Celt

The medical marijuana debate is heating up in south Monterey County. A petition calling for a referendum is gaining momentum in Greenfield.

"I don't understand why it was voted, 4 to 1, to basically increase the crime here," said petitioner Edna McCurrach.

McCurrach is with Concerned Residents of Greenfield. She said within a week they've gathered almost 1,000 signatures on a petition to stop Greenfield's medical marijuana ordinance.

"I have no problem with sick children and sick people being able to get what they need, but is this what this community needs? And are there enough sick people here in south county to justify increasing our crime," said McCurrach.

The council voted in January to allow the growing and selling of pot in the city. Mayor John Huerta said there are benefits.

"First is the capital investments that the medical marijuana industry is talking about... we want to make sure we also get that opportunity to create jobs, to increase our revenues here in the city of Greenfield. We have struggled for some time now," said Huerta.

Huerta said while they voted to allow dispensaries as well, the city's biggest interest has been on the cultivation side.

"The work is agriculture type work, we are agricultural, so our area is accustomed to that type of work so it fits that bill, so that's one. And two, the amount of jobs that potentially could be created here," said Huerta.

Still, Concerned Residents of Greenfield believes the benefits don't outweigh the risks. School board member Juergen Smith said he's worried about the impression it could have on youth.

"I have seen that marijuana is a problem for every school district. It's a minor problem, but if we open up the gates it will become a serious problem," said Smith.

Unofficially the group has enough signatures to qualify for a referendum but they still have to be validated by the city. They plan to turn in the petition on Tuesday.

Medical-Marijuana16.jpg

News Moderator: Robert Celt 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Debate Heats Up In Greenfield, CA
Author: Monica Jacquez
Photo Credit: None found

Back
Top Bottom