Medical Marijuana Dispensaries Given Green Light

420 Warrior

Gov. Jan Brewer has directed the Department of Health to begin accepting and processing dispensary licenses, according to a statement released by her office Friday.

Brewer filed a federal lawsuit that asked the court to evaluate if state employees could face prosecution for licensing marijuana dispensaries.

This came after she says the state got a letter from the U.S. Department of Justice threatening potential legal ramifications.

That case was dismissed by the U.S. District Court of Arizona earlier in January while the Governor now says the state will not re-file.

She is quoted saying that at this point she believes the best course of action is to complete the implementation of proposition 203.

A Valley attorney says the decision clears up an un-regulated gray area for a lot of card holders trying to find the medical marijuana and says the likelihood of state employees facing prosecution is unlikely.

"None of the U.S. attorneys have indicated that there will ever be a prosecution effort against a state employee simply for doing their job.

So, we don't think that's the case and Governor Brewer in fact put a caveat in her statement that said if that develops as an actual risk, and she sees that being a possibility that she'll shut it down and I think that's the right thing to do," said Ryan Hurley with Rose Law Group.

Hurley said that there are 124 dispensary applications available, and believes they could be processed by this summer.

abb21.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: KPHO
Author: Jadiann Thompson
Copyright: ©Copyright 2000 - 2012, KPHO

The only problem with this is when they open the dispensaries people lose their right to grow who live within a 25 mile radius. They should be given the choice to do either, but this law was set up more for the industry dollars than it was for the patients choice. I know many patients who can't afford the prices a dispensary charge and need to grow it themselves. I also know patients who can't grow it but can afford to buy it and need someone to do it for them and the dispensary model works well for them.
Hopefully they allow the dispensaries and drop the 25 mile rule for patients.

I don't think they can drop the 25 mile radius rule without ammending the current state law, can they? By far the strangest law passed on MMJ thus far, maybe LE will simply look the other way for the peeps who need to grow their own. I hope so anyway.

Please know that I'm not trying to be critical of the great State of Arizona or it's people, so no need to bash me, lol

I don't think they can drop the 25 mile radius rule without ammending the current state law, can they? By far the strangest law passed on MMJ thus far, maybe LE will simply look the other way for the peeps who need to grow their own. I hope so anyway.

Please know that I'm not trying to be critical of the great State of Arizona or it's people, so no need to bash me, lol

You're right there's no way to drop it without amending the law or maybe someone will challenge it and get it changed. It's a shame that it was written that way. However it works out it's certainly better than not having it available at all. Got to be glad for the big victories and let the small things work themselves out.
:peace:

Glad you're here on 420 Trommy, if I missed your post in the "Introduce Yourself" section. Let me say it here "WELCOME ABOARD!"...

Back
Top Bottom