Medical Marijuana Dispensary Dispute Leads To Criminal Charge

Warbux

ASPEN – Two locals who founded a Main Street marijuana dispensary have broken ties after one of them allegedly ransacked the business and made off with some inventory.

Joshua Aaron Griggs, 32, faces a misdemeanor charge of criminal mischief stemming from an April incident in which he allegedly vandalized Ute City Medicinals by damaging some of the retailer's furniture, carpet, blinds, a printer and two tables. He is scheduled to appear in court May 25.

Griggs said Friday he is trying to put the incident behind him. Former partner Brett Nelson bought out Griggs' interest in the pot shop after the incident, they both said.

"I'm really relieved to have this dissolution be finalized," Nelson said. "And I'm looking forward to the future and serving my patients."

Griggs and Nelson both declined to talk about the criminal charge.

According to Aspen Police Department records, Nelson called police on April 5 to report that the business had been vandalized earlier that morning. When police reported to Ute City Medicinals, Nelson told them that some marijuana –called Mediphyzz – had gone missing, along with some artwork.

Nelson was suspicious that Griggs was the culprit, because there was no sign of forced entry and the two had not been getting along.

Aspen police officers Jeffrey Fain and Chip Seamans later visited Griggs' residence. When Seamans told Griggs the shop had been burglarized, Griggs responded: "It wasn't burglarized, I did it," Seamans' report says.

Griggs told Fain and Seamans that he damaged some of the dispensary's furniture and had taken some inventory. Later that day, Griggs went to the police department and turned over some Mediphyzz, Seamans' report says. Seamans then served Griggs with a summons.

Ute City Medicinals opened at 118 W. Main St. in September. It is one of four marijuana dispensaries in Aspen.

News Hawk: Warbux 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The Aspen Times
Author: Rick Carroll
Copyright: 2010 The Aspen Times
Website: Medical marijuana dispensary dispute leads to criminal charge | AspenTimes.com

Back
Top Bottom