Medical Marijuana in LA: Make Your Voice Heard

Every day you hear different stories about the fate of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries in LA.: From the city is banning them outright, to the courts upholding that dispensaries can operate in the absence of guidelines from the city council. But one thing is for sure. The dispensaries and access are under heavy attack.

I've written about it before, but basically, Trutanich, our new city attorney is on a rampage and has vowed to close them all down. He seems to have backed off a bit (maybe someone in the city pointed out to him that medical marijuana is NOT against the law and is a smart thing to tax and bring sorely needed revenue to our city...) Here's how you can help:

Even though the majority of citizens support patients safe access to cannabis, the ordinance that is being proposed right now would pretty much end any access by patients, unless they worked in a non-profit collective, which is very difficult if you are fighting cancer or another difficult illness that cannabis eases.

This coming Monday, November 16th, there's a hearing downtown with PLUM (Planning and Land Use Committee) and members of the city council to discuss and get input from the general public. I urge you to attend if you care about this.

Even a simple phone call can make a big difference! Just call the committee members and say, "I am a medical cannabis supporter calling to ask the Councilmember to reject the draft medical cannabis ordinance prepared by City Attorney Carmen Trutanich." Here's a list of the council people who will be drafting this:

Ed Reyes-Chair (213)-473-7001
councilmember.reyes@lacity.org

Dennis Zine (213)-473-7003
councilmember.zine@lacity.org

Jose Huizar (213)-473-7014
councilmember.huizar@lacity.org

Tony Cardenas (213) -473-7006
councilmember.cardenas@lacity.org

Jan Perry (213)-473-7009
Jan.Perry@lacity.org

Greig Smith (213)-473-7012
councilmember.smith@lacity.org

If you really want to support it, show up Monday, November 16, to ask committee members in person to reject the ordinance, and adopt one that protects patients' privacy and ensures that collectives can stay open. This is an important point in the process, because the draft ordinance may go to the full City Council for approval after this committee hearing.

What: Joint PLUM and Public Safety Committee meeting

When: 9:30 AM * Monday, November 16

Where: Room 350, City Hall, 200 N. Spring Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Los Angeles Metblogs
Author: Tammara
Copyright: Metroblogging ® and Metblogs ® are registered trademarks of Bode Media, Inc.

I will be calling all the numbers today. I believe that if we do not reponsed we lose. it is time to fight back...
trekie

Back
Top Bottom