Medical Marijuana/Insomnia/Psyc Doc/Drug Testing

GreenBeans

I am not even sure where this thread should go. This post has it all. I have comments and questions and I didn't want to post in 3 or 4 different areas.

I see this psyc doctor for depression, anxiety and insomnia. I didn't lie up front about my using marijuana and told her that I do smoke like on average 4 times a day. She said that was "a lot". (I kept from laughing) This month when I saw her I told her that I had cut back to a joint at night cause it helped me to sleep. Yes, it is a lie, but hey. She says she is giving me Lunesta and that I wouldn't have to smoke that joint anymore at night....like she is all happy that I am "stopping".

First, it urks me to no end that a doctor thinks it is perfectly fine to give you some man made chemically filled pill, but smoking a natural plant is somehow wrong. I live in a state where it is decriminalized, so it isn't like she can call the police and say that we are smoking...okay she could, but the last time I talked to a cop they couldn't care less if you have some smoke) If I lived in a state with medical marijuana laws I would be the first person getting it. (Right behind my hubby) (Next year a law is going on the ballet though!!)

Next month when I go in to see her I am of course going to lie out my rear end again and tell her that I am now only smoking an occasional few joints a week.

Hence, my question: If for some reason said psyc doctor wants to drug test me, knowing that I smoke a few a week, can they somehow tell how much I am really smoking? I know everyone is different though....someone could smoke twice a week and it stay in their system longer and someone could smoke two times a week and it not even show up. That's what I was wondering though.

I think that all she could see was that you did smoke but not how often.. Ask her what the possible side effects are for Lunesta, I'll bet there pretty scary. Than ask her if she knows the side effects of pot !

I highly doubt your psych doc can drug test you without your explicit permission. Why would she need to? You've already admitted that you smoke it. Also, she CAN NOT tell the police what you are doing. That is breaking the patient/doctor confidentiality law.

Why does it matter if she "knows" how much you smoke? Are these visits with a psych court or parent appointed? How old are you?

We need more info to help you.

The only reason it matters is because if she thinks I am smoking too much she can call child protective services. I am 35 and it isn't court ordered or anything.

Its sad but the best bet still is to never tell a medical professional that you're smoking, unless you have some serious medical condition.
If the doc wants, they can ask for your permission to test and they can tell exactly what your thc levels are by using the standard GC/MS test.

I wish I could titrate my Effexor (anti-depressant) down to where I don't need it anymore. Every time I see a pharmy ad on tv, I want to run to the computer to understand the deadly side effects of every stinkin' med they advertise.

Yuck. However, I know I cannot take myself down off this poison in order to determine whether cannabis can "up" my serotonin levels. And I simply cannot ask my doc how to do it.

I wish I could titrate my Effexor (anti-depressant) down to where I don't need it anymore. Every time I see a pharmy ad on tv, I want to run to the computer to understand the deadly side effects of every stinkin' med they advertise.

Yuck. However, I know I cannot take myself down off this poison in order to determine whether cannabis can "up" my serotonin levels. And I simply cannot ask my doc how to do it.

Venlafaxine is a drug prescribed for major depression and anxiety
this is a forum where we express and share ideas but any suggestions here about altering your medical prescription doses is tantamount to practicing medicine without a license
you should discuss your concerns with your doctor if you are having adverse reactions or bad thoughts
you could get a second opinion

Venlafaxine is a drug prescribed for major depression and anxiety
this is a forum where we express and share ideas but any suggestions here about altering your medical prescription doses is tantamount to practicing medicine without a license
you should discuss your concerns with your doctor if you are having adverse reactions or bad thoughts
you could get a second opinion

I did not intend my post to be a request for medical advice. I just wanted to put it out there to see if anyone else had the same experience. Thank you for your referral/website.

Back
Top Bottom