Strain for stress and insomnia

tszasz4u

Since March of this year, I have been suffering from terrible insomnia, which I have treated with benzo and occasional use of ambien and melatonin. I can easily fall asleep at night, totally exhausted, but within a couple of hours, say if I crash around 10PM, I am up again at 12 PM or 1 AM. It is then that I turn to .5 mg of ativan and/or 5 mg of ambien.
I find that sleep restriction does not work, as I only manage four hours, before once again waking up. And of course, always the racing thoughts. I have yet to have any diagnosis for my kidney issues, and I seem to have conditioned myself to not be able to go back to sleep without some aid. Its not a long-term solution.
I used to smoke a joint every night before going to bed, and in retrospect, I suspect that my insomnia was already manifesting itself over a year ago, however, since my health scare, my thinking has become, well, kind of psychotic like.
My query is quite simple and straight forward. I want a strain that is heavy on the CBD, has a short flowering time, auto-flowering if at all possible, and one that does not grow to large. I suspect that there aren't too many chronic insomniacs on this site, but any help for a sufferer would be most appreciated! There is just too much info for me to sift through, although I have perused this site's strain base, once or twice before. I am looking for personal experiences of strains that cut down on anxiety and are heavier on the couch lock. Its worth a try. Thanks in advance.

Since March of this year, I have been suffering from terrible insomnia, which I have treated with benzo and occasional use of ambien and melatonin. I can easily fall asleep at night, totally exhausted, but within a couple of hours, say if I crash around 10PM, I am up again at 12 PM or 1 AM. It is then that I turn to .5 mg of ativan and/or 5 mg of ambien.
I find that sleep restriction does not work, as I only manage four hours, before once again waking up. And of course, always the racing thoughts. I have yet to have any diagnosis for my kidney issues, and I seem to have conditioned myself to not be able to go back to sleep without some aid. Its not a long-term solution.
I used to smoke a joint every night before going to bed, and in retrospect, I suspect that my insomnia was already manifesting itself over a year ago, however, since my health scare, my thinking has become, well, kind of psychotic like.
My query is quite simple and straight forward. I want a strain that is heavy on the CBD, has a short flowering time, auto-flowering if at all possible, and one that does not grow to large. I suspect that there aren't too many chronic insomniacs on this site, but any help for a sufferer would be most appreciated! There is just too much info for me to sift through, although I have perused this site's strain base, once or twice before. I am looking for personal experiences of strains that cut down on anxiety and are heavier on the couch lock. Its worth a try. Thanks in advance.

I use to be on Ambien, Now I'm on either bubba kush or Larry OG. Makes me sleep like a baby

Sorry for our troubles Tza. I've read that autos are high in CBD and noticed on seed sites for them the CBD is subtley mentioned in the strain's content. If it were me, I'd look at the states list of medical strains showing what the strain's used best for; I googled it a while back but forget the page I found only remember that Michigan and Rhode Island have a list. Also, Harborside Medical center in SanFran area would know and may give you info with a phone call. Good Luck and Rastafari.

Heavy indica's!! :)

I'm growing a Vintage 2006, from CH9... Supposed to be a quick flowering indica. I'm picky about buds.. Its gotta be strong to put me down. I have insomnia too.. So I'll let you know how she is. Started showing signs of flowering yesterday.

My mentor says to let it get really amber to get that couch-lock... The most amber stuff I've tried was a great batch of Blue Cheese.. Certainly did the job!

I use to be on Ambien, Now I'm on either bubba kush or Larry OG. Makes me sleep like a baby

Pre '98 Bubba is what we use at my house too, works every time.

Too much bubba makes me look like my avatar. Did that about a week ago and wiped me out!

Rofl, for all I know it makes me look like that too, but I've never stayed awake long enough to confirm!

I use Kashmir (100% Indica) and Querkle (Indica) for sleep and it works really well for anxiety, nightmares, insomnia and night terrors. But, it's way too heavy for daytime use.

Jacks Cleaner (60% Indica/40% Sativa) and Bubblegum works really well for anxiety during the day.

What you really need to look for is strains high in CBN's, which make you sleepy and help in sleep aid. Where CBD's really helps with anxiety and pain. Amber trics will increase the CBD's in strains and in some also the CBN's. Most people don't like what they call sleeping weed. Pure Afghani grown with amber trics and make some good hash will help with your sleep problems.

Good luck.
Flip

Heavy indica's!! :)

I'm growing a Vintage 2006, from CH9... Supposed to be a quick flowering indica. I'm picky about buds.. Its gotta be strong to put me down. I have insomnia too.. So I'll let you know how she is. Started showing signs of flowering yesterday.

My mentor says to let it get really amber to get that couch-lock... The most amber stuff I've tried was a great batch of Blue Cheese.. Certainly did the job!

Very interested in your post! You are the first person I have seen on here that, like me, needs something very strong to 'put me down'. I have struggled with chronic insomnia for over 50 years and feel like I am losing my mind at times. I am filtering through different strains (heavy indica) and am having a terrible time figuring things out. I'm constantly on the net doing research but everyone says something different. Maybe I am going about it the wrong way? Should I be 'using' during the day and then take the indica before bed? I have been taking it at bedtime and laying there waiting for it to kick in. UGH! I swear to all that's great and holy, all I want to do is get some quality sleep! Sleeping pills quit working years ago. I don't know what Vintage 2006 from CH9 means....so much information, so little processing power in my brain! Thank you!

Very interested in your post! You are the first person I have seen on here that, like me, needs something very strong to 'put me down'. I have struggled with chronic insomnia for over 50 years and feel like I am losing my mind at times. I am filtering through different strains (heavy indica) and am having a terrible time figuring things out. I'm constantly on the net doing research but everyone says something different. Maybe I am going about it the wrong way? Should I be 'using' during the day and then take the indica before bed? I have been taking it at bedtime and laying there waiting for it to kick in. UGH! I swear to all that's great and holy, all I want to do is get some quality sleep! Sleeping pills quit working years ago. I don't know what Vintage 2006 from CH9 means....so much information, so little processing power in my brain! Thank you!

Hey BuzzyB, just so you know... The Vintage 2006 didn't quite "do it" for me (btw, CH9 is the seed breeder/company... Vintage 2k6 is the strain's name). Pineapple Express is great, an above poster mentioned... Just as quick if not faster on flowering too. It didn't put me to sleep totally... But it did help.

Now... I had really interesting effects with an early picked Church (made by GreenHouse Seeds). I would smoke a joint, go inside... and wake up a half hour later. Ive never experienced such effects.. wasn't trying to sleep or anything.. It was more like passing out.. That didn't happen even when I started smoking... When I say early, the trichome content was predominately clear with a little cloudy... When usually this would be picked after amber is developing.

Many of the plants I'm growing now are rated really good for helping sleep. Except the Dr. Grinspoon, that will wake your ass up!

Hey BuzzyB, just so you know... The Vintage 2006 didn't quite "do it" for me (btw, CH9 is the seed breeder/company... Vintage 2k6 is the strain's name). Pineapple Express is great, an above poster mentioned... Just as quick if not faster on flowering too. It didn't put me to sleep totally... But it did help.

Now... I had really interesting effects with an early picked Church (made by GreenHouse Seeds). I would smoke a joint, go inside... and wake up a half hour later. Ive never experienced such effects.. wasn't trying to sleep or anything.. It was more like passing out.. That didn't happen even when I started smoking... When I say early, the trichome content was predominately clear with a little cloudy... When usually this would be picked after amber is developing.

Many of the plants I'm growing now are rated really good for helping sleep. Except the Dr. Grinspoon, that will wake your ass up!

Well, I owe you an apology! I read this post in my email and just totally forgot! You were so kind to help me get things figured out a little. I'm thick headed! lol I am beginning to wonder if my caregiver is picking too soon? I hear the more amber things are, the more they help with sleep. He said no, they have to be clear. I am so confused! I want to grow my own, but at 65 not sure I have the energy? Ha!
I would be very interested in what you grow for sleep. I always thought it all put you to sleep.....see? Grew up in the 60's and never bought into the whole flower power thing....now that I am in the '60's again, here I am! Trying to get things figured out! Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated! I don't smoke it, I cook with it. I have to learn to smoke it because it takes sooooo much to cook with it! Thank you so much! Again, I apologize for taking so long to respond!

USe a strong Indica, I would recommend Afghan kush?

Back
Top Bottom