Medicinal Marijuana Group Asks for County's Support

XLE420

Linda Jimenez is hopeful that next month Solano County leaders will understand that she and fellow medical marijuana supporters are trying only to relieve chronic pain.

The 36-year-old Fairfield resident said she has a painful joint disorder originating in her jaw that causes headaches and depression. Her marijuana use is physician-advised.

For several months, as a member of the Solano Patients' Group, a medical marijuana advocacy organization, Jimenez and other group members have lobbied county leaders to institute a voter-approved state patient card program.

It's been 10 years since state voters approved medicinal marijuana use but Solano County leaders so far have balked at implementing a required patient card program.

The patient card program would track who is legally prescribed by a physician to get medical marijuana.

There's no clear indication the Solano County Board of Supervisors will move ahead with the card program when board members tentatively are set to consider the issue Sept. 26.

"I'm glad I don't have to vote today," said Supervisor Duane Kromm, District 3-Fairfield. "I'm not sure how I would vote."

Kromm said he has a number of concerns, including a 2005 U.S. Supreme Court decision.

In June 2005, the court reversed a lower court decision that federal prosecution of patients who cultivate and possess marijuana for their own
use is unconstitutional.

That shouldn't factor into the issue, Jimenez says.

The county is supposed to uphold state law, and state law calls for administering a medicinal marijuana patient card program, Jimenez and fellow supporters say.

Supervisor Barbara Kondylis, District 1-Vallejo said that is what she wants done as well.

Kondylis said the county's only role is to administer the program that voters approved a decade ago.

"Frankly, I don't know why we don't issue (the card program) through the DMV," Kondylis said.

Supervisor John Silva, District 2-Benicia, said he has a different take on the issue.

His past profession as a police officer makes him less inclined to support medicinal marijuana, Silva said.

"I made my living enforcing these (drug) laws at one time; I'm not easily going to change my mind," Silva said.

Typically, patients use marijuana to treat AIDS, cancer, and other painful or life threatening conditions, Jimenez said. But not all Solano Patients' Group's members reveal what ailments they have, she said.

Newshawk: SX420 - 420 Magazine
Source: Vallejo Times Herald
Author: Greg Moberly
Copyright: 2006 The Times-Herald

SX420 said:
Supervisor John Silva, District 2-Benicia, said he has a different take on the issue.

His past profession as a police officer makes him less inclined to support medicinal marijuana, Silva said.

"I made my living enforcing these (drug) laws at one time; I'm not easily going to change my mind," Silva said.

Hmmmm, wonder if he would listen to some of his Brethren ?!?

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
Law Enforcement Action Partnership | Advancing Justice and Public Safety Solutions

Back
Top Bottom