Merry Golds

If you mean marigolds, yes. But there are several different flowers (from at least two different genera, all informally known as marigolds - so a little web-searching might be in order before picking the one(s) you ultimately decide to grow. For example, French marigolds are said to repel whiteflies, and Mexican marigolds are supposed to be good as a general-purpose "repellent plant."

One thing, though: In general, they seem to attract spider mites. So... Maybe not the best choice, after all. Here is a webpage to get you started on your search for suitable companion plants. It mentions marigolds and 16 other plants:

Has anyone heard of planting Merry Golds around the base of your outdoor plants to help keep bugs away????
Yes, it is called "companion planting" by many farmers, gardeners and hobby growers.

Just as @TorturedSoul brings up, a companion plant might repel one problem insect but attract a different one. Often what the grower has to do is plan on putting several different companion plants in the garden area.

Not all companion plants will just repel the insect. They actually attract an insect that will eat the insect the grower wants to get rid of.

Do not expect a companion plant to get rid of all the problem insects. They keep most of the insects away but some will always make their way in.

I use companion plants to not only repel insects. By growing certain plants nearby, usually flowers, I can attract a person's attention away from the plant I do not want them to see.

Wow thanks for the info guys!!! It's my second year growing and last year I ran into a problem with a grub/worm very similar to the beetle borer but research found that they were a certain kind of moth larvae that would bore into the bottom of the bud and then rot it from the inside out!!! Someone had mentioned merigolds but wanted more input first... any suggestions for keeping the moth's away or has anyone heard of these particular bugs???

Oh I've got the cure for those pesky rabbits... let's just say that I have better luck than poor ol Elmer Fudd

Back
Top Bottom