Miami Senator's Bill Would Allow Recreational Marijuana Use

The General

In the latest twist in a debate about legalizing marijuana in Florida, Sen. Dwight Bullard, D-Miami, filed a bill that would allow the recreational use of marijuana. The bill (SB 1562) likely has little chance of passing the Republican-dominated Legislature. But it calls for allowing people who are 21 or older to possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana and also would allow them to cultivate up to six marijuana plants. The proposal also would create a regulatory structure that deals with issues such as the sale and taxation of marijuana. The proposal comes as Florida voters prepare to cast ballots in November on legalizing medical marijuana. Also, lawmakers are considering proposals to legalize a marijuana extract that can help some children who have a form of epilepsy and suffer from severe seizures.

medical-marijuana-joints.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: miami.cbslocal.com
Author: CBS Miami
Website: Miami Senator's Bill Would Allow Recreational Marijuana Use

I wrote to my Florida Congressman, Bill Posey, in support of medicinal marijuana. It's time for legislators like this to 'go away.' Here is his reply:

January 24, 2014

Mr. Hugh Yonn
PO Box 194
Grant, FL 32949-0194

Dear Mr. Yonn,

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the legalization of marijuana for medicinal purposes. I appreciate your taking the time to share your thoughts on this issue.

While I understand the desire of some patients to have access to marijuana, I believe that there are many prescription medications available that effectively control illnesses without the potential serious side-effects or properties of marijuana. In the remote instance where the use of marijuana would, perhaps, be clinically justified, there is a prescription drug, Marinol, which contains the active ingredients of marijuana. Marinol can be taken orally and avoids the lung-damaging effects of smoking marijuana cigarettes.

Even the slightest change in marijuana's legal standing will forever change the way our nation views it. If we legalize this drug for medicinal purposes, we will be putting the government's stamp of approval on a drug that has a reputation for destroying lives and is a gateway drug to other, stronger drugs.

Also, much of the support and financing of the effort to legalize marijuana comes from those who want to totally legalize marijuana; not the medical community seeking the benefit for their patients. I see this as a very dangerous step and cannot support this effort.

Thank you again, Hugh, for contacting me. I appreciate having the benefit of your views. It is an honor to serve you in Congress. For more information on my work in Congress, to sign up to receive my E-newsletter, or to participate in telephone town hall meetings, please visit my website, Congressman Bill Posey :: Representing the 8th District of Florida, or call my office at (321) 632-1776. If I may be of service to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Bill Posey
Member of Congress

Agreed.
I also wrote to Florida Senator Bill Nelson. Waiting for his reply.
Posey must not be aware that more than 70% of Florida voters are in support of medicinal marijuana. Either he is unaware...or the wishes of the people who put him office do not matter.
Hopefully, folks with his outlook will be removed from office next election.

posey is an idiot. He probably copied his response to the governor so he can get a cookie too. He's posted the default rhetoric that will undoubtedly cost a few representatives their jobs if people will only educate themselves. I would do all I could to vote them out ONLY because I don't want anyone representing my interests with wive's tales and misinformation. His facts are wrong...period, and attempting to perpetuate them as the veil of truth is raised only makes them look more inept.

Back
Top Bottom