MMJ - Friendly Skys Over Cali

Katelyn Baker

My wife and I both have medical cannabis cards. If we are flying within California, shouldn’t we be OK to carry cannabis and our vape with us in our carry-on, or in our checked baggage? - BF

Yes! As long are you stay in Cali, you are all good! Bring a copy of your letter of recommendation with you and you should have no problems. If you are really worried, don’t bring anything and take advantage of all the nice dispensaries and delivery services from wherever you are.

I hear we have a few more states with medical marijuana laws? Do tell… - Noam A’dic

Indeed we do! Please join me in welcoming Ohio and Louisiana to the list of states that have joined the 21st century. Well, kinda.

Ohio’s new law allows patients with qualifying conditions to use (but not to smoke – vaping is cool but smoking forbidden) cannabis. No one is allowed to grow their own, but folks can buy their medicine in states that allow legal cannabis sales and bring it home no problem. This of course will be a challenge for low-income patients, but hey, Michigan is right next door to Ohio, and Michigan recognizes letters of recommendation from all medical marijuana states. I foresee many road trips. One of the best parts of the Ohio bill is the list of qualifying conditions is fairly comprehensive. For instance, the law lists “chronic pain” as a condition.

Louisiana’s new law is an expansion of an old law that allows cannabis use for only three conditions: chemotherapy treatment for cancer, glaucoma and spastic quadriplegia, a rare form of cerebral palsy. The new law allows to recommend cannabis to treat a number of other conditions. Louisiana’s law also prohibits smoking and goes one step further by prohibiting vaping.

Both laws face challenges. Growing and processing infrastructures need to be set up, and rules and regulations need to be written. It is expected to take two years to get everything into place. While both of these new laws perhaps don’t go far enough, they can be expanded. The biggest thing is the fact that two states with extremely conservative governors (Don’t even get me started about Bobby Jindal and John “wolf in moderate clothing” Kasich) managed to pass laws legalizing medical marijuana. This bodes well for the future, and I thank the activists and politicians that managed to make it happen.

leaf5.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: MMJ - Friendly Skys Over Cali
Author: Ngaio Bealum
Photo Credit: None Found

Back
Top Bottom